Apps from iPod touch to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by hafruit, Dec 21, 2009.

1. hafruit macrumors member

Is it possible to transfer app data from an iPod touch to an iPhone? I have a few apps I'd really like to keep the data for. All my searches have failed to find the answer, so if anyone can tell me if it can be done I'll be grateful.

I have a 1st gen iPod Touch on the latest firmware and I've just bought a 3GS.

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I would think not, unless you can somehow get the backup data out of the backup for the iPod Touch and then copy it to the iPhone. You can't restore from a backup, since they're not the same kind of device (like you could from a 3G to 3GS). Backup Extractor can be used to get the data out of a backup. IDK what software you would use to get the backup data from the iPod Touch onto the 3GS.

3. hafruit thread starter macrumors member

Ah ok, thanks for your reply. Guess I'll be starting out fresh then. :apple:

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Sorry, you are misinformed. You CAN restore a backup from ipod touch onto an iphone and vice versa. I've done it both ways many times.

To OP: Just back up your touch. When you get your iphone, restore from the backup you made from your touch. You'll be ready to go with all your apps and your data intact.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, I said "I would think not." Anyway, learned something new today. Thanks.

6. hafruit thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll try it :)

7. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

When I got my 3g a few months ago, I wasn't able to restore from my backup of my touch. I'm not sure why, it just didn't give me the option when I was setting it up. Maybe you will be able to though :)

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you don't get the option to restore from backup, right-click on the iphone icon in the left side bar, and select "restore from backup" from the menu.

9. hafruit thread starter macrumors member

I'll give that a go, thanks for your help.

Edit: It worked when I restored it from my iPod, only problem is it now has the name iPod, instead of iPhone. But I can cope with that. :)