Apps from Multiple Accounts on One iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by imgonephishin, Sep 13, 2010.

1. imgonephishin macrumors regular

Hi all. Sorry if this has been answered already but I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm getting a iPad 3G from my work in a week (yay). I work at a fairly large private company (3K+ employees) so IT will be setting it up and passing it off to me.

I have a ton of iPhone apps on a personal phone, many of which have universal versions that I'd love to have on the iPad. I know that if it were my iPad I'd just set it up under my iTunes account and could load them up.

I assume IT will be registering the iPad. Can anyone summarize what scenarios there could be for how the account could be set up? Are there hybrid options where you can have multiple iTunes accounts linked? Note: I know the iPad doesn't allow multiple users/profiles. That's no problem for me as I'll be the only one using the device.

IT will load with some of their enterprise apps (salesforce.com, etc.)--is there a chance I could then put my own apps on or even purchase new ones straight to the device?

All in all, beggars can't be choosers and I'll be happy no matter what but it would be great if I could use my own apps on it. :D

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

As long as you don't sync the apps when your iPad is attached to iTunes (which will then delete the unassociated apps) you can have apps from multiple accounts on the iPad. The more important question is what's your company's policy on adding a bunch of crap to its hardware. I have a brother and sister-in-law who both work for large corporations and they have very strict guidelines about adding apps to company computers.

3. imgonephishin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response, poloponies.

That's a good thing to keep in mind. One of the benefits of a private company that has grown very rapidly is that there aren't a lot of overbearing IT policies. The tech I get through work is provisioned and set up a specific way but they don't do much policing after that. I have a MBP for work that they let me take home/wherever. They don't perform any tracking or maintenance.

I think it's one of those, 'they don't care and won't bother you as long as you're not doing something else really stupid or illegal.' I just didn't know if it's something they could easily prevent right from the get-go.

If they tell me, "YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO PUT OTHER APPS ON," of course I won't. Not worth losing my job over something silly. But I don't think they'll care or say that. :D

4. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

I'm guessing this is exactly the same as for the iPhone. I gave my 3G phone to my best friend, she now has it synced with her iTunes account but retains my apps as well as hers. She needed my iTunes account details as well as my debit card security code (which I am happy for her to have, but am scrutinising statement for shoes and dresses). So this is feasible.