Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnijaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Over the last week, I've been frustrated the last two times I have downloaded updates for my apps because after the update is complete, ALL my apps are removed from their respective folders and are randomly distributed throughout my iPod's home screens. This causes me to have pages and pages of app screens instead of just a few pages of neatly categorized apps in folders.

The first time this happened, I plugged my iPod into the computer, and on iTunes rearranged all the apps to my liking, creating new folders for each category of app, etc. It took a while and I was glad when it was finally done. I applied and synced it to the iPod and all was well...until the next time my iPod downloaded app updates and the same thing happened!

So, is there: a) Any way to to keep this from happening in the future?; b) a way to quickly restore my iPod to the most recent app arrangement that I configured through iTunes?

I'm afraid to plug the iPod into the computer for fear that the computer/iTunes will conform/sync to the way the apps are currently arranged on the iPod, instead of giving me the option of syncing the iPod with the way the apps were arranged last time through iTunes.

Any help on this would be MUCH appreciated! Thank you!

-justin

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2008
That is weird and I have never experienced the issue myself. That would drive me crazy as I have so many apps and I typically have at least 1 new update available each day.

I'm guessing you already tried to power the device off and start it back up. If that didn't work maybe try restoring.

mnijaw

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
I'm guessing you already tried to power the device off and start it back up. If that didn't work maybe try restoring.

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I have tried turning it off and then back on...to no avail. :(

As for restoring it--that's a good idea. I may just have to give that a try.

If anyone else has any additional insight, I'd love to hear it. Has anyone else experienced this? I have a 3G iPad.

Thanks in advance to whoever can give me a sure fire solution. I'd like to solve it without having to restore the iPod.

candez

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2011
Same here

I have the same problem on my original iPhone (1st gen) and my husband just encountered the same problem with his new iPhone 4. I stopped updating apps en masse a couple of years ago because of it. I either update apps individually as needed or update them on my Mac and then sync the phone.

I haven't found a solution to the problem, but it's extremely annoying. And in my experience, when you plug it into iTunes it does show the apps in their new (screwed-up) order rather than the original order.

Neither phone is jailbroken, btw. Not sure what our common thread is here... But I would certainly love to know how to fix it.

Emily91

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
My iPod Touch did this recently actually, I just move them back it is annoying though.

Xenc

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
London, England
I remember this happening on beta versions of iOS 4. It was supposedly fixed in an update. My only recommendation would be to update to the latest version of iOS.

FAII

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2011
Do you have InfiniFolder and/or FolderinFolder? When I had them, whenever I updated an App that was inside of a folder directly through my iTouch's App Store, all folders except for the original Utilities one would disappear and all apps (except, again, the ones originally in Utilities) would clutter up my Springboard.

I could circumvent this by simply moving the App(s) I was going to update out of folders directly onto the Springboard before updating. But both hacks were so bugged (they'd occasionally crash, just like that and all of my folders would be done, even without updating) that I just switched to FolderEnhancer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.