Apps icon are not displayed, instead it's using a generic icon in Applications folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nairud, Jun 2, 2010.

1. nairud macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I have a problem here. When I installed MSN and VLC player onto my MBP, I dont see MSN or VLC icons on the Applications folder launch from the Dock. All i see is that both apps are using a generic icon instead of its respective icon.

I have to go to Finder -> applications, drag MSN icon out to the desktop and put it back into the Applications folder (thru Finder), only then i can see a proper MSN icon on Applications Folder (thru Dock)

Another way is to restart the MBP and the icon will show.

Previously when i first got the MBP, i dont have any problem with missing icons at all until i formatted my MBP yesterday after a screw-up in getting Windows 7 installed.

Have any of you encountered this problem? So far, my other friend who has just bought his MBP few days ago has the same prob on the pre installed Snow Leopard. My problem came after i reformatted it.

pls help.
    thanks

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Haven't had that myself, but have read about others experiencing it. I think it's normal behavior. I'm not sure why it doesn't show up right away.