Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cometdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2002
Hi,
I just got Jaguar for my Ruby iMac. It has worked great until recently when I accidentally deleted a folder on my desktop that contained all of my games and homework and some pictures:( . Now the address book, iPhoto and the Mac help center apps don't work. They just bounce in the dock and then stop. How do I get them to work again. Another weird thing is that it most of the photos I had on iphoto are still there and I can still get the e-mail addresses in the Mail app. I am puzzled why this happened since I don't think that I had any of the deleted files had anything to do with those apps running. If someone could help me I would apprieciate it greatly!
Thanks!

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
ok, I just ran into this....

what I had to do was basically reinstall each app.
something with the libraries and prefs or some kind of linking will throw these all funny.

but once I did this, everything worked great again.

good luck

Cometdude

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 28, 2002
Hi,
Thanks for the info but, how do I reinstall the apps like the address book and help center without reinstalling Mac OS X?

chmorley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2002
Denver, CO
If you are right about what was in the folder you deleted, the fact that apps started malfunctioning afterwards is probably just a conincidence. I'd try these things:

1) Just restart--see if that fixes it. If not...

2) Restart with Command-S pressed to get to a command prompt. Once there, type "fsck -y" (without the quotes). If it finds problems, run it again until it finds no problems. When it finds no problems, type "reboot" (without quotes).

3) Try reinstalling the individual apps if you can.

Good luck!

Chris

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Cometdude
Hi,
Thanks for the info but, how do I reinstall the apps like the address book and help center without reinstalling Mac OS X?
Ok, I had to do this recently.

1) Get all software restore cd's handy.
2) Create a temporary folder somewhere
3) Go through all 5 software restore disks + copy the dmg files from the configuration folder on each cd to the new temporary folder.
4) Once you have all 5 dmg files off the cd's double click the first dmg. This will then mount a volume onto the desktop. Then just drag what you want back to you HD applications folder.

Note : this process takes about 4Gb of free space to pull everything off the CD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.