iPhone Apps keep resetting after multitasking

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by joflo723, Oct 11, 2014.

1. joflo723 macrumors member

I'm having an issue where 99% of the time, when I switch between apps, the app I go back to only momentarily displays the app where I left off, but then restarts itself, and goes back to the splash screen. It's pretty annoying because it basically makes multitasking obsolete on my device. Does anyone know what causes this to happen? Memory issue maybe? I'm on an (ancient) 4s...maybe it just can't handle iOS8?

Jo

2. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

3. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

Happened with 5s on iOS 7 too, but it was corrected with one of the first few updates.

I find it happens occasionally on an iPhone 6. Hoping iOS 8.1 will address it.

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Samsung and HTC devices do the same. There was a test done on each device and despite iPhone 6 having 1 GB of RAM it reloaded the same or more, although faster.

5. tromboneaholic macrumors 65816

tromboneaholic

I imagine once the apps are updated and iOS 8.x is optimized, this won't be an issue. It wasn't an issue on the 5s after 7.1 or so...

6. iolinux333 macrumors 68000

KitKat is doing a much better job keeping thing running in th background these days, even with only one gig of ram. I was trying to listen to a 10 hour book the other day on a long road trip and iOS 8 on my iP5 kept closing the player so navigation could keep running. Then the player would always restart at the beginning and it was almost impossible to figure out where I left off, especially with the teeny font in the app. It's a miracle I didn't crash. My four year old Galaxy S with a quarter gig of ram and Android 2.2 does better than this. I know because I just tried it. So there is reality now. iOS8 is currently worse than a four year old Android phone.

7. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Apps keep resetting after multitasking

You should like many others just call it an app switcher. It has never been true multitask anyway.

8. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

I can play the tuba better than Tim Cook.

Therefore, Tim Cook is currently worse than a much younger Tubamajuba.

Of course, playing tuba isn't the only metric by which you judge a person, right? Keeping an app in memory isn't the only metric by which you judge an operating system, either. There is no way your Galaxy S can even touch iOS 8 in smoothness, responsiveness, and the ability to run modern apps. If you truly believe that it can, why would you ever buy an iPhone again?

9. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Hmm, that doesn't seem right. I drive with this exact setup all the time (Music and/or podcasts and navigation on simultaneously) and I have never once had the player terminated in the background, and I've been using iOS 8 since the developer GM seed was released. What apps were you using for Navigation, and for your audiobook? It sounds like you have a specific problem with your setup…