Apps Launched from Dock Displays Desktop

Discussion in 'macOS' started by damojag, Oct 22, 2010.

1. damojag macrumors newbie

damojag

Hi,

Just a strange problem here - when I launch an Application from my Dock (not from the Applications folder) my screen shows up the desktop and then the app. For example I am running Safari now but if I were to open Address Book from the dock, the desktop shows and then the Address Book opens.

Not a life-threatening problem, more a nuisance!

Any ideas?

2. damojag thread starter macrumors newbie

damojag

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you checked System Preferences > Exposé & Spaces > Spaces > Application Assignments if you have assigned the application you open to another Space? Because I have Safari in Space 2 and System Preferences in Space 4 and if I am in Safari (Space 2) and open System Preferences, Mac OS X switches to Space 4, even though System Preferences is still opening and not visible yet until it appears.

[​IMG]

Btw, do you see the Spaces switching graphic?
    [​IMG]

You have to have Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard or Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard to have Spaces.

4. damojag thread starter macrumors newbie

damojag

Hey, thanks for the reply - I had initially thought that the problem was Spaces but even after turning Spaces off the issue persists, I don't see the switching graphic either. It is concerned with icons in the dock ONLY - not folders ... very strange.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What Mac OS X version do you have? Does it happen in other accounts (even temporary ones to test it)? If you have 10.6, you can record the screen via QT X.

6. damojag thread starter macrumors newbie

damojag

Yeah it's 10.6.4 - I haven't checked it out on another account but I did take a screencast - any preference on where I upload it?

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you choose a small format and make it short and can compress it into a .zip file via Finder and make it less than 1.14MB, you can use the [​IMG] button and upload it here. You could also use YouTube or www.2shared.com (which gives you the option to password protect the download if you wish, via the Administration page link you get after the upload is finished).

8. damojag thread starter macrumors newbie

damojag

Ok - attached a small video

What you see is me opening Firefox from the dock, quitting it and then opening it from the apps folder

Attached Files:

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Thanks.

Have you installed any third party applications that might have the option to hide other applications if certain applications are started?

I can't discern every icon in the Menu Bar, maybe have a go there. Or look at your Login Items.

10. damojag thread starter macrumors newbie

damojag

Definitely a problem in my profile - it's fine in the Guest account!

11. damojag thread starter macrumors newbie

damojag

If I option-click an icon in the dock it opens as normal

12. damojag thread starter macrumors newbie

damojag