Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2008
Anyone know of any apps that you can watch videos on that support the TV output? Would be wonderful. I think VLC and CineXplayer got pulled from the app store so they haven't been updated to support it :(

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I have the VLC app, and it does work with the HDMI Digital AV adapter... but like you said, it got pulled. However, I just checked the app store on iTunes, and it appears that CineXPlayer is still available for purchase. I downloaded it when it first came out... and just tested it with HDMI Digital AV adapter... and it worked fine for me.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Netflix and Safari support the HDMI output for iPads. However, Netflix (as far as I know) doesn't offer HD content for the iPad so I'm not certain how much you gain by using HDMI. In any case, you can play HD content from within Safari and it appears that any website that offers HTML5/H.264 video will work with the HDMI outputs (well, it may depend upon how the video is embedded within the webpage). The playback over the HDMI connection goes fullscreen even if the webpage restricts the original to a small window within the webpage.

Also, I'm pretty certain that StreamToMe supports video out (and AirPlay), but I haven't tried it with the HDMI connector as yet. <update>Just tried StreamToMe and it seems to work very well with the HDMI cable. I played back some MKVs, .m4v, and sampled two HD .mov and they all worked quite well.

The standard video apps from Apple also support the HDMI outputs, that includes the YouTube and Videos apps.

Last edited:

srexy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2006
I have the VLC app, and it does work with the HDMI Digital AV adapter... but like you said, it got pulled. However, I just checked the app store on iTunes, and it appears that CineXPlayer is still available for purchase. I downloaded it when it first came out... and just tested it with HDMI Digital AV adapter... and it worked fine for me.

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but...

I used VLC with the HDMI adapter for the 1st time last night and it mirrored fine from my iPad 2 but the display on the TV wouldn't display full screen - it was a smaller window in the middle of the screen. Not unwatchable but not what I was hoping either. I was watching an avi of Rango on a 1080p set.

Is there any setting besides the widescreen setting under "video" in settings?

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but...

I used VLC with the HDMI adapter for the 1st time last night and it mirrored fine from my iPad 2 but the display on the TV wouldn't display full screen - it was a smaller window in the middle of the screen. Not unwatchable but not what I was hoping either. I was watching an avi of Rango on a 1080p set.

Is there any setting besides the widescreen setting under "video" in settings?

yea VLC got pulled before it could be updated to do video out :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.