Apps missing / out of place after restore / update?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ILBandit, Mar 11, 2011.

1. ILBandit macrumors regular

I am restoring my phone to update the latest firmware, ( The shift+update method, I am getting the beta IOS for developers). I always back my phone up right before I do the upgrade, restore to the new IOS, then I restore from the last backup.
    The past several times that I have updated, when I am done with the backup/ restore, almost all of my apps disappear, and they are all mixed up, Normally they all come back exactly how they were when I did the backup before hand, but the past 3-4 times, it has came back with missing 30-40 apps, and out of place. So I have to go into iTunes, and manually put them all back onto the phone from there, a long, tedious process. :-( then sync again.....

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

2. mikedamirault macrumors newbie

I had the same problem with my iPod Touch when I went to update it, I also have an iPhone and noticed it was fine after the update

I think it has to do with auto syncing, whatever apps iTunes finds on the iPod Touch, iPhone, iPad, etc. that is not registered in iTunes itself will be removed

I have noticed that when I connect my iPhone and go to the app settings in iTunes, everything is grayed out, while when I connect my iPod touch, I can add, remove, or manage my apps from iTunes (requiring it to sync every time it connects)

I think that if you disable app syncing in iTunes and download apps only from the App Store app, it shouldn't attempt to sync and remove apps whenever you to connect and/or update it