Apps Moved from Download Folder Don't Work?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ShineALightGdGd, Aug 3, 2013.

1. ShineALightGdGd, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013

ShineALightGdGd macrumors newbie

Hey, guys. I have a late 2011, 13 inch MacBook Pro, OS X Lion 10.7.5. Lately whenever I download an application from the internet, it works perfectly fine if I open it in the Downloads folder, but if I move it somewhere more convenient, such as the Games or Applications folders, it won't open. I've tried moving the .zip file the apps come in, and unzipping them in the location I want the app, but the apps still won't open. When I open the apps after moving them somewhere else, I noticed that if I have the Force Quit window open, the app appears for less than half a second and then immediately closes. There are no pop-up windows saying there is an error or anything like that. All non-app files work fine. Has anyone else experienced this weird error or know what might be causing it? I hope this is the right place to post this. Also, if I move an app I opened outside of the downloads folder back to the downloads folder, it won't work.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Contact the site where you downloaded the apps for support.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Check the Console utility for relevant log messages when you try to launch the app.
    Is this for ALL apps, or just some? Do they come in. zip files, or .dmg images? And you are copying the app out of the mounted dmg, aren't you?\

Are you running an admin or standard user account? Are you asked for authorisation when you move files to/from the Applications folder?

4. glutenenvy macrumors regular

glutenenvy

Is it missing from both Application folders? The system one and the user one. Do you have a virus scanner removing the app? Does it do the same in a new test account? Do you know if other people are having trouble with this app?

You can use a program like AppDelete to clear out more than just the app itself. Redownload, place in the applications folder and try to rerun the program.