Apps: No Auto Updates in Yosemite?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Danley, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Danley macrumors member

I've been using my 11" MBA (Early 2014) for a bit over a month now; totally satisfied, but one thing continues to puzzle:

I have all App Store options pertaining to auto-download and update presently checked; It doesn't appear that any update I've ever had take place in the last thirty days occurred automatically.

Right now, Safari 8.0.2 is staring back at me in the App Store, apparently waiting for me to click "update." Going into the System Preferences for App Store, the button tells me that there are updates available, and allows me to show them, but still, after about fifteen minutes it doesn't feel compelled to do anything about it.

Is there a reason this might not be occurring? Will a Safari update simply not download automatically?

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Are you running on power or battery? The new Macs like to update when you are not using them (Power Nap), so they wake up from sleep. By default this is only when the Mac is asleep and plugged in. At least this is what happens to me.

It could also be a built in load balancer so that not all Macs get the update signal and start updating at the same time. So the newest update would wait a bit. I don't know about your older updates.

Maybe Safari is still running, so the Mac is waiting for you to close Safari. Does the app in the dock have the white dot underneath?