Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mouchoir

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 29, 2004
London, UK
Here is a list of Apps (that I have noticed) that for some reason or other have yet to cross the Atlantic:

Google Mobile
Jott
Loopt

Does anyone know why this may be so?

byron_hinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
Here is a list of Apps (that I have noticed) that for some reason or other have yet to cross the Atlantic:

Google Mobile
Jott
Loopt

Does anyone know why this may be so?

Some apps are not localised - like many of the movie apps we have too - they only work in the US.

byron_hinson

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2003
The problem is that there's no consistency. A couple of the 'things near me' applications only appear to have data for the US but they're in the UK store.

Yep - very annoying and something I didn't expect to see from the store - even some of the buyable apps are not localised for the UK yet are for sale here too

tripout

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2007
The Jott service is not available to anyone outside the US. To use the app you still have to be registered with the normal Jott service.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Since loopt uses text messages to communicate they would need to find a way to send them across the UK that didn't cost them shedloads of money.

IMO better apps that do the same thing will be available - using SMS for this on a device which has unlimited data is kind of lame.

colcass

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
UK
i wanted loopt too
why showcase it at 'WW'DC if they are not going to let it be available to a World Wide audience
Maybe its the case of the portion of americans who forget or dont care about foreign countries.
Maybe its cos Tony Blair ain't hand in hand with Bushy anymore?

Last bits were in jest obviously
partially

foiegras

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2007
Can anyone get the AIM app working?

I can't get it to work, it keeps saying a I need a 'Network Connection'. I've tried it on both WiFi and off O2's 3G network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.