Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Hi, when I try to launch some apps, they keep on bouncing on the dock and get stuck like this. If I click on them while they are bouncing, they will disappear. I am currently on OS X Lion 10.7.3. Anyone knows how to fix this apart from reinstalling? Cheers

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi, when I try to launch some apps, they keep on bouncing on the dock and get stuck like this. If I click on them while they are bouncing, they will disappear. I am currently on OS X Lion 10.7.3. Anyone knows how to fix this apart from reinstalling? Cheers
I know it sounds simple, but have you tried restarting your Mac? It's always a good first step in troubleshooting.

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Yes I already tried restarting my mac. Also I used Disk Utilities to repair permissions, but still same problem.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yes I already tried restarting my mac. Also I used Disk Utilities to repair permissions, but still same problem.
You might check Console.app to see if there are any error messages that could be helpful. Does this happen only with a few particular apps, or any app?

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
Here is the message I got when I'm trying to run the Tor Browser app on my mac.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 10.28.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-02 at 10.28.32 PM.png
    20.3 KB · Views: 134

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Lion keeps track of the status of applications between runs. Sometimes that info gets screwed up, or saved when an App is in the process of crashing. This can cause the application to refuse to launch whenever you try to start it up.
If that happens, you can often fix the problem by deleting the App's saved state information from ~/Library/Saved Application State/.

Here's a tutorial on how that's done:
Delete Specific Application Saved States from Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Resume

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
As I asked earlier, does this only happen with one or a few apps? Or does it happen with any app?

It happens to a few apps, so far (Redsn0w, Cyberduck & TorBrowser). Seems like those big apps like Adobe Photoshop, Maya runs fine. But those small apps downloaded from the internet, mostly unzipped, are not opening and I don't know what to do...

Btw I tried looking into Saved Application State folder, but the application not running do not have any folder in it... BTW I disabled the restore apps upon restart in my OS X Lion settings.

----------

As I wrote the previous reply, I decided to unzip those files with a different utility (was using The Unarchiever), now using the default one... Seems like the apps are now working... I would say its a bug in The Unarchiever that does not extract .app well.

Thanks anyway for those trying to help ;)

Siemova

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2002
Texas
According to the developer of The Unarchiver, this is the result of a bug in Apple's sandbox/quarantine behavior under 10.7.3. I've been having the same problem, and re-enabling quarantine messages ("This application has been downloaded from the internet...") seems to fix the issue for now.

See bug 464 for further details.

d4rklamp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 17, 2009
According to the developer of The Unarchiver, this is the result of a bug in Apple's sandbox/quarantine behavior under 10.7.3. I've been having the same problem, and re-enabling quarantine messages ("This application has been downloaded from the internet...") seems to fix the issue for now.

See bug 464 for further details.

Thanks for the info. I'm currently using Stuffit Expander meanwhile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.