Apps Not Launching

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by d4rklamp, May 1, 2012.

1. d4rklamp macrumors regular

Hi, when I try to launch some apps, they keep on bouncing on the dock and get stuck like this. If I click on them while they are bouncing, they will disappear. I am currently on OS X Lion 10.7.3. Anyone knows how to fix this apart from reinstalling? Cheers

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know it sounds simple, but have you tried restarting your Mac? It's always a good first step in troubleshooting.

3. d4rklamp thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I already tried restarting my mac. Also I used Disk Utilities to repair permissions, but still same problem.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You might check Console.app to see if there are any error messages that could be helpful. Does this happen only with a few particular apps, or any app?

5. d4rklamp thread starter macrumors regular

Here is the message I got when I'm trying to run the Tor Browser app on my mac.

Attached Files:

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As I asked earlier, does this only happen with one or a few apps? Or does it happen with any app?

7. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

Lion keeps track of the status of applications between runs. Sometimes that info gets screwed up, or saved when an App is in the process of crashing. This can cause the application to refuse to launch whenever you try to start it up.
    If that happens, you can often fix the problem by deleting the App's saved state information from ~/Library/Saved Application State/.

Here's a tutorial on how that's done:
    Delete Specific Application Saved States from Mac OS X 10.7 Lion Resume

8. d4rklamp thread starter macrumors regular

It happens to a few apps, so far (Redsn0w, Cyberduck & TorBrowser). Seems like those big apps like Adobe Photoshop, Maya runs fine. But those small apps downloaded from the internet, mostly unzipped, are not opening and I don't know what to do...

Btw I tried looking into Saved Application State folder, but the application not running do not have any folder in it... BTW I disabled the restore apps upon restart in my OS X Lion settings.

----------

As I wrote the previous reply, I decided to unzip those files with a different utility (was using The Unarchiever), now using the default one... Seems like the apps are now working... I would say its a bug in The Unarchiever that does not extract .app well.

Thanks anyway for those trying to help ;)

9. Siemova macrumors member

Siemova

According to the developer of The Unarchiver, this is the result of a bug in Apple's sandbox/quarantine behavior under 10.7.3. I've been having the same problem, and re-enabling quarantine messages ("This application has been downloaded from the internet...") seems to fix the issue for now.

See bug 464 for further details.

10. d4rklamp thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. I'm currently using Stuffit Expander meanwhile.