Apps not scrolling - iOS 7 beta 3

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by thatJohann, Jul 12, 2013.

1. thatJohann macrumors 6502a

thatJohann

Anyone having issues with some apps not scrolling vertically? For example, when trying to scroll up or down on the Ok Cupid app it just moves the screen as if it was a picture. Anyone else experiencing the same issue?

Very annoying. Didn't happen in beta 2.

Attached Files:

2. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

Haven't noticed any vertical scrolling issues with my apps, but I can't scroll horizontally on Netflix.

3. thatJohann thread starter macrumors 6502a

thatJohann

I did a clean install of beta 3 and then restored from an iCloud backup. Do you think that might have something to do with it?

4. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Yep I noticed this as well. Switched back to beta 2 yesterday due to so many issues with beta 3, and everything is much better now.

5. thatJohann thread starter macrumors 6502a

thatJohann

Can I switch back to beta 2 without loosing anything?

6. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I would wager a guess that this is because the app uses a web view rather than being a real app for the most part. I have a few apps that are basically crafted websites that are loaded in an app and they do the same thing. It's probably a bug in the webview in this beta.

7. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Yes, that's what I did last night. Use the option-click update in iTunes, and select the ipsw file you've downloaded to your computer. It was surprisingly fast, and I did not lose anything or even have to restore a backup at all.

It was tough to find a download link though. Took me a bit of searching but I eventually found a direct download link from Apple, which even required me to log in to the dev portal. I was happy to find that, as I didn't want to download it from a third party.

Now I'll be sure to download each ipsw file from the Apple dev site when they're released, just in case I need them later for stuff like this. With beta 2 I did OTA so I had no reason to download it while it was on the dev site... Oops :cool:

8. thatJohann thread starter macrumors 6502a

thatJohann

Great, thanks, downloading ios 7 beta 2 now. I think I'll choose restore on itunes instead of update, and then do an icloud restore once the beta 2 is installed. Read somewhere that lowers the chances of bugs. Don't know how true that is though.

9. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

In the case of OkC, all of the app elements appear to be standard iOS API implementations. The easiest giveaway is the scrolling behavior, which is much faster in a table view than a web view. Also the screen transitions are good tells.

It's hard to describe... For example, go to your Contacts app and do a quick "flick" scroll gesture. Then go to a Safari webpage and do that same gesture. Native iOS controls are more "floaty" I guess?

----------

I dunno either but no issues at all for me so far :D

10. thatJohann thread starter macrumors 6502a

thatJohann

I think its webview because it was even updated with the iOS 7 look including circle avatars and the progress bar on top. It was updated on the fly without requiring app update, so I'm assuming its web view based.

11. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

But that's all the more reason to think it's not a webview. On the Apple dev site, it says that apps using standard API elements will automatically use the new iOS 7 look, without needing to change the app at all. Then it shows an example of one app running on iOS 6 and the same app running on iOS 7, with both looking very different but requiring no change.

It also made me wonder if we'll now need to do extra sets of screen shots for our apps, like we had to do with iPhone 5.

12. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

They might appear that way but they aren't.

You are correct that in safari the scrolling is weightier for lack of a better term, however with a UIWebView you can programmatically change the weight back to the same as a contact list for example. In fact it is an enumeration so it's extremely easy to do. What they are doing is just using a webview (and probably a few other things) and setting the scroll speed back to the regular scrollview speed.

It needs to be using the iOS 7 compiler, from which you can not currently submit apps. Old apps using stock objects are still old.

13. Trik macrumors regular

If you use two fingers to scroll in the OKC app, it works.

14. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Speaking of the app discussed here.. It is the first app I have seen that has been updated to match IOS7.. Im hoping that in the final version that the status bar will be merged with the nav / title bar like in native apps.. For being the only app that I have seen that matches IOS7 its a shame that the scrolling doesn't work.

It was broken in beta 1, fixed in beta 2, broken in beta 3.. I have actually noticed this paten with several apps. I wonder if they have 2 different lines of beta's. the parallax returning to reduce motion made me wonder this..

15. thatJohann thread starter macrumors 6502a

thatJohann

What? For real? Just downgraded to beta 2 and everything is working perfectly. Not sure if I should update to beta 3.

----------

Yes. I'm digging the iOS 7 makeover. They need to implement dynamic text size though. The font in OKC app is way too tiny.

16. HCO macrumors regular

HCO

Try tapping and double tapping around the time. It worked for me.

17. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

As previously (not needed to be used much but it works) - use a 2 finger scroll. I'd imagine that decent app developers will be working on their apps to get it ready for iOS7 - it's not just a cosmetic overhaul due to the design aesthetic and changes behind the scenes, and the relesae of iOS 7 isn't for a bit - once iOS 7 is out, people can legitimately harangue debs to update their apps ;)