Apps on an 2010 MBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by augustya, May 22, 2015.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I am getting a Year 2010 Made MacBook Pro from one of my friend who is lending me his MBP for me to experience how the Mac Ecosystem is and how it works and feel, to get a feel of it, before I buy my own.

It has a Core 2 Duo Processor/ 2 GB RAM /Snow Leopard OS.

I have a question will all the APPS available as of now in the Mac App store work on this particular model. I know Games which require a DGPU may not work on this, but I am talking about some Basic Productivity and Utility APPS.

Will it work ?

2. leman macrumors 604

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Thanks for the reply and will it work smoothly or will it struggle with the old limited Hardware Specs that it has ?

4. leman macrumors 604

Most applications will work fine. Your hardware is not that old. Of course, more recent models with be snappier, but you will certainly be able to use your MBP productively.

Although, please note that some applications have a minimal OS X requirements. So you should check beforehand whether the apps you are interested in support Snow Leopard. This has nothing to do with the hardware though. Every OS X includes new technologies for developers, so if a company makes use of these technologies, it will only run on the respective OS X (or later) version. You can easily update your computer to Yosemite though, then every app should run.

5. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I believe upgrading to Yosemite is free isn't it. But is it available for download OTA to everyone ?where would I see to upgrade option, Does it pop up any icon like in iPhone and iPad that you have a free available OS download ? Or will I have to manually go to some place on Apple site and than enable the Upgrade to Yosemite.

6. leman macrumors 604

Yes, you can get it for free in the App Store. Note though that 2GB can be a bit low for running Yosemite, although apparently some people had positive experience with it.

7. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yes Apple wants you to buy it for 2010 MacBook Pro...Apple wants you to be happy Apple user. So enjoy it! :apple:

8. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

The strange thing is that 2010 Macbook Pro laptops came with 4GB in the base model. So your friend either removed one module or it's actually a 2009 Macbook Pro.

These 2010 Macbooks were quite nice. They support up to 16GB of RAM, but with just 4GBs and a SSD, it will run Yosemite pretty comfortably. If you don't want spending the full price of a Mac, make an offer to your friend later. With a 8GB RAM kit and a 250GB SSD you'll spend like $170,00, or even less if you go for 128GB. Then offer something like $200-250 and you have a pretty usable Mac for around $300-400 depending on the upgrades and the Macbook price.

9. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Where can I see, clicking where on the MacBook can I see how much RAM is included in a particular Mac ?

10. bow-one macrumors newbie

Click on the :apple: logo on the top right, then "About this mac". You will see a small window with the basic specs of your macbook.