apps on both windows 7 pro & XP Pro through paralells 5.0

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Sossity, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I have 2 virtual machines running on my macbook pro, windows 7 pro & windows xp pro.

I installed the full retail version of windows 7 pro first, & now recently installed windows xp pro service pack 2 OEM.

I also have some windows apps installed on both. But I notice that while desktop icons are present in windows xp (after installing them), they are blank squares in windows 7 & when I click to launch the apps in windows 7 it cannot find it.

It is vice versa as well, if I reset & get full desktop icons back in windows 7, & then go to windows xp pro, the icons for those same apps are now blank generic squares.

2. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bumping thread, sinsce there have been some views but no replies, & will bump before I try to ask this question again.

can a particular windows app be installed on more than one virtual machine? say I have an app I want on both windows 7 pro & windows xp pro? if not, is this why I am getting the strange things happening with the desktop icons to launch the app?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What apps in particular?

You might be running into some form of DRM. Does this happen with a simple app like notepad.exe?

I'm a VMWare user, not Parallels, but it might also help for you to mention what mode (e.g. Coherence mode, etc..) you are working with.

B

4. Sossity thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I am using window mode, it is similar to full screen, it fills most of the screen, but the bottom where the mac dock is still visible. The screen is also framed by parallels icons.

The app I have run into this with is a windows app, dBpoweramp. It also happens with some other apps.