Apps on External HDD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dingdongbubble, Jul 10, 2007.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

OK Maybe this question has been asked before but can you please give a small and quick answer?

Is it possible to store applications on external HDDs?

What happens when the HDD is not connected? e.g if a particular file format opens using Photoshop only and my Photoshop program is on an external HDD and I disconnect my HDD before starting up the Mac then what happens when I try to open the file? On Windows it goes searching for the program which opens it and messes up the registry and there are fireworks under the hood.

Can I connect the HDD on another Mac and expect the apps to run like normal? What about the preferences?

I am sure this i snot possible on Windows without problems but what about Mac? This can become another reason for me to tell my friends to get a Mac.:D

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ALL mac os x applications can be put on an external harddrive and run on any other mac. its good :)

preferences however will not be saved. you would haev to carry your preferences along with you. which is annoying, but dooable

3. dingdongbubble thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool

So no fireworks will take place if Mac OSX finds the program missing from where it should? And I am talking about only 3 rd party apps not system files.

4. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Actually, I do this with most of my games on XP. I haven't tried bringing it to another computer, however.

It should work fine on OS X. If you don't have the external plugged in and you try to open an application, it just won't open.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

nope it should all run smooooothly. like me butt :cool:

6. EvilDoc macrumors 6502a

EvilDoc

LOL