Apps optimized for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cryates, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Cryates macrumors 65816

Any idea when this would happen? I'm not sure what the time frame was when the 5 was released? I imagine it will take some time for a lot of developers but I can't remember if we saw some apps being updated for the 4" screen on launch day or if there was a delay.

This can also be used as an official thread to post which apps are updated as they start to be released...but I'm sure there will be 100 other threads made instead.

2. bchreng macrumors 65816

bchreng

Without knowing how long developers have had access to the hardware, I'd say a good 6-12 months before most of the more common and popular apps are updated to take advantage of the new screen resolutions.

3. myscrnnm macrumors 65816

myscrnnm

I imagine it will happen very quickly for major apps (eg. Facebook, Skype, Foursquare, et cetera). Almost half of my apps on iOS 7 that fall into that category have received updates optimizing them for iOS 8 over the past two days. Developers have been able to get ready for some time now, so it's only a matter of rolling out the updates when the iPhone 6 comes out.

4. JWorld127 macrumors 6502

JWorld127

yea right 6-12 months! When the iphone 5 came out most of the apps were upscaled within a month.

5. Cryates thread starter macrumors 65816

6. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

The major apps are probably already ready or right around the corner. Big players such as banks, some high profile gaming companies, etc. have likely had what they've needed for a while now. joe blow working out of his basement doesn't even have the SDK yet, I don't think.

In short, the only ones that will take 6-12 months will be the very low profile ones.

7. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

CNN's update was released today, and it utilizes the larger screen sizes when you rotate the phone into landscape mode. Apple demonstrated this during the keynote.