iPhone Apps optimized for XS Max [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by ray737, Sep 22, 2018.

1. ray737 macrumors 6502

Are apps optimized for the Max?

On vacation right now and won’t get my hands on my phone till Wednesday

2. Jordan921 macrumors 601

Jordan921

They will be slowly in the near future.

3. tcdav26 macrumors regular

tcdav26

We need a sticky thread! I’m having fond flashbacks to getting the iPhone 6 on launch day, and the iPhone X! I’ve noticed some apps are doing the zoomed in thing like going from the 5/5s to the 6/6+. They will update over time!

4. Renho macrumors 68000

Renho

Well Angry Birds 2 is and that’s all that matters! Lol I remember it took them almost like 6 months to optmize for the X. Since most are for the X it won’t be that hard for the Max instead of apps for the 7 going to the X..

5. m-a macrumors newbie

.. I start this thread with the first app I noticed using the bigger Xs Max screen:

Apollo (for Reddit)

6. QueenTyrone macrumors 6502a

QueenTyrone

7. Mr$tone macrumors 6502

Stocks Pro—the best ever stock app for iPhone. Try it and you can never be without it (if you enjoy trading and/or following stocks).

Yes, it’s even better than Apples revised version for iOS 12 and now take full use of the iPhone XS Max display!

Btw, it has a dark mode as well!

8. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Shouldn't they be all optimized by now since it's just scaled to a bigger size than the X?

9. jekim macrumors regular

You would think but here’s an example...the DelDOT app (Delaware department of transportation). Looks terrible on the Max.

Attached Files:

10. Chuzwuzzin macrumors member

Todoist is the only app non-stock app I can find (that is not simply a zoomed in version of the X UI).

To tell the difference look at the location of the mobile bars icon and see if it shifts position when you do the home gesture (if it does, the app is not optimised for the Max).

11. Chacocliff macrumors 6502

I have found several. Apollo, Pillow, RC Club, Heart Analyzer, Halide, Camera+.

12. Mr$tone macrumors 6502

There seem to be a general missunderstanding about the iPhone XS Max screen.

It’s only scaling if the app isn’t optimized.

When an app is optimized, there’s much better use of the larger screen. The app Stocks Pro is a very nice example.

People who say that the iPhone XS Max screen is just a blown up version of the X are wrong!

13. JCCL macrumors 6502a

In mine, none of the apps are optimized. Quite annoying. Whatsapp looks terrible compared to iMessage.

14. LKN macrumors 6502a

patience, patience............... give it time and most of the top apps will be updated

o_O:p:oops:

15. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

None all major apps should of done it before launch

16. boomer11 macrumors regular

Apple was too busy trying to find a wallpaper to hide the notch they didn't even have time to optimize their own apps

17. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Unless the app is not optimized, then it is true. The prob is the time it takes the dev to update the app is unknown. Some apps weren't even updated for the X yet or as with google authenticator just updated after the XS was already announced.

18. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

Has that ever happened?

19. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

Impossible to do when it’s not even out...

20. boomer11 macrumors regular

how come android phones don't have this problem then?

21. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

The same android apps that are blown up when it comes to android tablets?

Android have had screen size out over 6 inches for years...from my experience their apps aren’t even that optimised either. Just blow up verisons

22. kasakka macrumors 68020

No it's not. Test versions of iOS are released well before the phones and I would expect XCode to also be updated to support the new screen sizes in its emulator. So even without having the actual device developers should be able to test that their software looks right on the new device. Barring any visual anomalies, if the app looks fine blown up slightly larger on the XS Max then that can be perfectly fine from the developer's point of view. They might have far more pressing issues in their pipeline to bother updating the app for a new phone model which is not used by majority of the users.

Both iOS and Android support various systems for rendering application layouts and some scale automatically while some require tweaking for phone models because they are more exacting about size.

23. boomer11 macrumors regular

does it matter if the screen is over 6 inches for years? are you saying apple could scale it on a 5.9 screen but not a 6 inch screen? android phones are all over the place in terms of screen size and it keeps going up. name an app that isn't scaled right on android and i'll show you a screen shot showing otherwise.

saying you can't scale an app b/c the phone isn't out yet is such a sorry excuse. again apple didn't even scale their own native apps and they freaking made the phone. take safari for example...

24. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

It’s not a sorry excuse why would developers update apps when the size isn’t even official? Be pointless

Safari is fine on the max...the difference from the x is noticeable so not really a good example

It’s no different to last year iPhone X when it comes to updating apps

25. BigDO macrumors 6502a

BigDO

Seriously? Apple didn’t scale native apps? What the actual ???