Apps preferences

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by iFanaddic, Nov 1, 2008.

1. iFanaddic macrumors 6502a

iFanaddic

Hi everyone I wanna know if its possible to start an application at login but only once a day for example: I would like iCal to launch the first time I turn my computer on everyday, but I shut down my computer so many times a day I don't want it to open ever time you understand?

And also is there a way to see a piechart of the remaining space of my HD? thanks

2. dckj95 macrumors member

hi im not sure about the open once a day thing but i noe how to see a pie chart of your remaining hard drive space.

go to spotlight and search for an application called activity monitor.

open it up and click the disk usage tab near the bottom.

you should see a blue and green pie chart of your hard drive space. :D

3. united002 macrumors newbie

I used to be able to get the hardrive pie chart to sit in the finder bar at the top of my desktop as well as cpu and memory usage etc but cant remember how i did it.

Dont suppose you know how to do it???

4. dckj95 macrumors member

install menumeters here: http://ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/

then go to your system prefrences and select the menumeters preference pane.

then there is a tab for you to select a pie chart to appear in the finder bar.

another alternative is istat menus but they dont have pie charts. they only have percentage, icons and meters.

5. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

It will be possible for it to open at a certain time everyday but i dont know about the first boot of the day :S

If you can find/write an apple script that opens iCal there is a way to schedule script to run at certain times of the day (im not sure how but google it)

6. united002 macrumors newbie

Thats the one!! i couldnt remember the name of it!! Cheers

7. Clancycoop macrumors member

You shouldn't need to shut down your computer a bunch of times during the day. Just shut it, and it will sleep. Apple's sleep system is absolutely perfect. Don't worry, your battery won't be depleted when you come back. Just open it up and use it.

You can set iCal to open at login at:
    system preferences/accounts/login items/
    then press the plus key to add it. You can check the box to make it hidden upon launch. Then just simply never quit the program (you can 'X' the window to get rid of it but let it run in the background) and still recieve reminders etc.

As for the pie chart:

[​IMG]