Apps quitting to main window?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dulaney22, Sep 18, 2008.

1. dulaney22 macrumors regular

Got a problem with my phone just quitting apps and my iPod without me ending it. It happens pretty often with the iPod function. I'll be playing a song and the screen will go black, the song quit and take me back to the main screen.

Any thoughts?

2. schatzie macrumors member

This never happened to me while using the iPod app. But it happens to me all the time will playing games, especially Enigmo. No idea why. Was hoping 2.1 would fix that but it didn't.

3. Amt macrumors regular

It's a widely known problem. What frimware version are you running?

4. dulaney22 thread starter macrumors regular

5. dulaney22 thread starter macrumors regular

When I loaded 2.1 I didn't restore to a new phone. Thinking of doing that . . . will it make any difference?

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

it might, give it a try...

7. integragsr macrumors member

I also have the same problem wit my iphone 3g, it happens to me when i am playing a game like cro-mag rally or even when i am using safari, but not a lot in safari. is there a solution for that that you guys know?

P.S i have the 2.1 firmware

8. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Most often this happens because your system ran out of memory. When the memory is running low, the iPhone will kill the currently running App so there will always be memory to receive calls. So for apps which use a lot of memory (such as games), if you are experiencing this, make sure you don't have more than one page open in Safari, stop it from loading a page before hitting the Home button, and if that doesn't work try turning the phone off and then on again (not just locking it, but holding the lock button until it gives you the option to turn off the phone) before running the app. Also check to see if there are any updates for that app, which might make it use less memory.

9. integragsr macrumors member

Thanks you, it worked as you said it. I restarted and the app
    worked. I hope apple fixes this bug.

10. Loopy65 macrumors 6502a

Loopy65

The two that even after 2.1 keep quitting to home screen are LastFM and 'upcoming' (which looks to have potential if I can ever get to run it!) ..

Anyone else struggling with LastFM? .. it's a great app and I want to use it but it crashes so often I'm about ready to give up!

Loopy

11. synagence macrumors 6502a

Last.fm app is broken with 2.1 (as are many others reported elsewhere on this forum) ... the last.fm devs have said they're working to fix.

12. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

all my apps run fine except for cro-mag rally which quits as soon as the race starts (goes through set-up fine, then crashes on 'GO'). I dont know if this is a problem with the app or the phone.

EDIT: tried quitting safari pages to no avail.

13. mickbab macrumors 65816

mickbab

yep, on and off seems to keep it running.