Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blucolor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2014
I upgraded to Yosemite when it first came out and had no issues. Today while I was creating a new Admin username on my Mac, the dock on the new username had iPhoto, Keynote, Pages, and Numbers with question mark icons. I know what the question mark icons mean but I have never had those apps installed ever on my Mac before.

I tried creating another username and the dock looked fine without these apps but I created a third username to see if it would happen again and it did. I tried deleting the dock.plist and force quit the dock, but still the apps were in the dock. Clicking on them does nothing. Right clicking has a show recent option which just shows a blank Launchpad. I could get rid of them though by right click > options > and remove from dock.

But my concern is how these apps showed up, could this be a malware of some sort?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 7.24.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-29 at 7.24.38 PM.png
    290.1 KB · Views: 60

HaruAoki

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Australia
Do all the "?" say iPhoto or are they different app ? and have you start restarting your computer.

----------

read to quickly, you said your never had those apps install on your computer ? have you tried installing them and see with the question apps turn into the apps ?

The reason you get the question mark (?) normally is if you have move the app to a different location to where it was before and you would get the ? error so if you wonted to get it back you must remove the icon and put in back on the dock.

If your never had this app then its weird that your getting this error plus you said it only happens on some new users accounts being made when running on OS X 10.10.

Im doing some looking around on the problem and if I find a fix I will let you know, sorry about the problem your having and hope it will be fixed.

Have a nice day.

----------

Some people are saying to verified and repaired permissions. Have you tired this yet to see if it fixes the problem ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.