Apps relaunching from scratch

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bablenet, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Bablenet macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Total technophobe so please go easy, but I can't get my iPad air to relaunch apps from the 'start page' after I close them. If, for example, I have a web page loaded (not the Google home page with search bar) and I double click the home button and swipe safari away, when I relaunch safari it returns to the old page (which I am no longer interested in, generally!) rather than a 'fresh' home page to start a new search. Ditto 'mail', where I might read an email and leave it on the screen, 'swipe the mail app away' but when I relaunch it, it returns to the same (old) message. I know I should perhaps return to the homepage (or equivalent) before closing the app, but is there no way I can do this automatically on relaunch through a change in settings? I have tried the 'background refresh' in both both positions but it appears to make no difference. Thank you for your help.

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I know that with safari, you not only have to close the app but have to do a swipe up gesture after showing running apps to actually close it down so it restarts from new. Same for the mail app, I'm pretty sure.

Does that make sense?

3. Rodster macrumors 68040

Safari, will display the last page viwed even if you shutdown the app. The same should apply to Mail.

4. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Yeah, I guess you're right. You have to make sure you get back to the landing page so to speak before it will truly start fresh. I think.