Apps reloading more often now?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Retired Cat, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I've had a largely positive experience with iOS 8, but I notice that when I used the multitasking feature, my apps re-load more often than they did under iOS 7.

Has anyone else noticed this? Does iOS 8 use more memory than 7, or is something else going on?

2. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

Same here. Its a RAM hog and unpolished OS

3. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Didn't notice on iPad Air because from begging it was reloading a lot. But with 5S I noticed that apps refreshing more frequently

4. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I've also noticed this, especially with Safari tabs. But yeh, apps in general are also reloading more than it has with iOS 7.

5. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

We cannot deny that iOS uses more RAM because so many new features were baked into it. To retain more apps in memory, more RAM is required ideally.

Just wondering if Apple put too much faith in their iOS engineers and can't overcome RAM shortage? Or Apple made a di** move with including just 1 GB RAM in current iPhone 6'es

I have given up the Safari refreshing issue on my iPad Air. In true Hinduism/Buddhism style, I might donate it to mother nature by submersing it in the sea.

6. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

After a cold boot, iOS 8 uses 90% of the available RAM in my iPhone 6. That alone tells me that iOS could make use of more RAM, but it's also an amazing feat of software engineering that iOS performs as well as it does given the RAM constraints.

I don't think apps on my 6 with 8.1 are reloading any more often than they were on my 5 with 7.1.2. I have 10 apps open right now, and none of them had to reload after switching between all of them. I doubt it could handle much more, but it's good enough for me. Still looking forward to having more RAM in iOS devices, but I'll be fine until then.

7. rodknocker macrumors 6502

Yes, i noticed this. My iPhone 6 reload very often apps. Sometimes apps won't send push notifications because the memory content of the app was cleared.

This bug was here on iOS 7.x.x. They fixed it on iOS 7.1.x.
    But it seems to be back now on iOS 8.x.x

Really annoying.