Apps remembering info even after restore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brittany0613, Aug 9, 2010.

1. brittany0613 macrumors member

So I sold my 3G to a coworker today, and he went home to jailbreak it and activate it on his wireless carrier. Not sure if he's on AT&T or not. Anyway, that's not the point. I had the phone erase all content and reset the settings, took the sim card out, and he took it home. There was nothing on it. I checked. No apps, no photos, no contacts, no nothing. He did the restore through iTunes, jailbroke it, and then downloaded some apps. When he opened up ESPN, the page came up with what were my favorite teams. How come the app remembered my favorite teams even after everything had been erased and restored? Should I be worried that he could come across any sensitive information that apps might somehow remember?

2. terraphantm macrumors 68040

shouldn't unless it was restored from your backup (did you do the restore on your computer or his?)

3. brittany0613 thread starter macrumors member

He did the restore on his computer, so there was no way for him to use a backup. And I asked him if he was sure he did the full restore and he said yes because that was the only way he could get access to the wireless to jailbreak it. I'd done the erase/reset from the phone itself inside Settings, and then when it went to the screen that asked to be plugged into iTunes, I plugged it in and it asked if I wanted to restore as new phone or from backup. I figured if that's the place it's at, why not just let him finish the restore from his computer. Should I not have done this? Do I need to get it back from him to do another restore just to be sure?

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

I've never used the ESPN app, so I'm not sure how exactly it works. Maybe the server that the app connects to uses the device's unique ID to store data such as favorite teams? It would explain why that would still show up after a reset.

5. brittany0613 thread starter macrumors member

Ooh I hadn't thought about that. It would make perfect sense though because I didn't have an ESPN account, I just had it save the teams on whatever server they use. I sent him an email and asked if he's come across any other apps that have remembered anything but haven't heard back from him yet.