Apps Rendered Redundant by Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dgzylstra, Oct 18, 2007.

1. dgzylstra macrumors newbie

Hello Everyone! A question of opinion for all of you:

What applications (shareware or freeware or whatever) do you think will be made redundant and/or obsolete by Leopard's release?

For example, obviously other backup software (like R*trospect Express), will be pretty useless if you decide to rely on the functionality of Time Machine. Also, as another example, VirtueDesktops is no longer even being developed because of the pending release of Spaces.

So my question is, what other applications should I purge from my system (or should you purge from yours) before we install Leopard?

2. rhys105 macrumors regular

rhys105

Any other web browsers, ill be using safari 3 :D

3. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

I was going to mention Virtue Desktops/Desktop Manager but apart from that there is nothing I remember that may be deemed redundant by Leopard.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Not all backup software will be redundant. I may even continue using SuperDuper! for drive duplication.

5. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Windows XP, Windows Vista. :D

seriously though, as said above, backup software and virtue desktops.
    probably a bunch of RSS readers if mail does rss properly (unlike safari 2)

saft will get some more features stripped from it, but seems pretty resilient to updates.

6. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Virtue still has the cool features of activation by motion and light sensing on the laptops...

I may get rid of NetNewsWire due to Mail's built in RSS reader.

If Leopard's live partitioning is any good, I'll get rid of iPartition.

Many will still use SD! and CCC for bootable backups.

7. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

what does super duper offer that duplicating a drive in disk utility doesn't?

8. Mekgek macrumors member

With quicklook, coverflow, thumbnail previews and improved preview.app I am probably going to use iPhoto a lot less in the future.

9. dgzylstra thread starter macrumors newbie

What about...

What about apps like Archiver or Stuffit? Do you think the built-in archiving will be good enough?

How about something like Ad*be Reader? Is Preview good enough to get rid of Reader altogether?

Maybe programs like Toast? Is the disc-burning functionality more user-friendly in Leopard?

What about Quicksilver (gasp!)? Is Spotlight so good now, that we don't need Quicksilver anymore?

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i'm sure Stuffit of Archiver will be needed still and found useful by some.

i've never had Adobe Reader on my Mac, always have used Preview

again, if you want advanced functionality, Toast will probably be the way to go still.

and Quicksilver and Spotlight are two totally different things.

11. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

short answer: no.
    Quicksilver does things that spotlight can't like control itunes, select a file and open it with a specific app, email people etc etc etc

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I will use one external for a straight clone and one for Time Machine

Smart-update, means backing up my computer (230 GBs) takes about 10 minutes. Apart from that i don't really know/care.

13. danny_w macrumors 601

TimeMachine is NOT the same as backup software. It is a very nice tool for what it does, but is not an imaging solution like SuperDuper! or CCC, and is not a failsafe file backup like Retrospect. Each tool has its purpose, and they are all different. TimeMachine does not render the others useless by any means.

14. Queso macrumors G4

Smart updating. It works out which files have changed and only copies them over, so everything takes a lot less time. Yet the result is still a bootable copy of OSX on your external drive.

15. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Wikipedia widget due to built-in Dictionary function, and Dash Clipping (replaced by WebClip)...

16. Vegeta-san macrumors 6502

But ultimately, one would still be able to recover a Mac from a Time Machine backup....Just like you'd be able to do with Super Duper. Time Machine also does its own version of "smart updating" by only backing up things that have changed.

I just really don't see the need for Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner (what I use now) when one has Time Machine. But please, if I'm wrong, inform me so I can continue to use CCC. Thanks.

17. Queso macrumors G4

Does Time Machine actually create bootable backups and images as with SuperDuper? The only thing I can find on the Leopard features page is that you can "Restore from Time Machine" by inserting the Leopard Install DVD, which sounds more like a migration tool than a mobile OSX installation.

18. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

For those who currently own a license for Toast, that may be the best suggestion. However, for those who don't, I'd suggest Burn. It offers most, if not all of the same features as Toast, but is free and open-source.

19. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Leopard's unified theme is quite dark, some will like the lighter tone allowed by UNO. There is also the smoothing of the dashboard management bar, and it is one of the solutions for making iTunes7 look like iTunes6...

20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Obviously a lot of new information abut these last couple of days but this is what is known so far (see the thread far all details)

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

afaik, time machine does incremental backups, but i'm not sure that it creates a bootable copy.

from what it seems to me, time machine backs up your data, but you'll have several copies of documents that you've changed. ie, so you can revert to a previous draft from two days ago, even though you've backed up since then. and so on and so forth. has a nice usage, but might not be for everyone.

22. Queso macrumors G4

23. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

really,

That is only half the job what about outgoing.