Apps Rendered Redundant by Leopard

dgzylstra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Hello Everyone! A question of opinion for all of you:

What applications (shareware or freeware or whatever) do you think will be made redundant and/or obsolete by Leopard's release?

For example, obviously other backup software (like R*trospect Express), will be pretty useless if you decide to rely on the functionality of Time Machine. Also, as another example, VirtueDesktops is no longer even being developed because of the pending release of Spaces.

So my question is, what other applications should I purge from my system (or should you purge from yours) before we install Leopard?

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
I was going to mention Virtue Desktops/Desktop Manager but apart from that there is nothing I remember that may be deemed redundant by Leopard.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Not all backup software will be redundant. I may even continue using SuperDuper! for drive duplication.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Windows XP, Windows Vista. :D

seriously though, as said above, backup software and virtue desktops.
probably a bunch of RSS readers if mail does rss properly (unlike safari 2)

saft will get some more features stripped from it, but seems pretty resilient to updates.

psychofreak

Retired
May 16, 2006
London
I was going to mention Virtue Desktops/Desktop Manager but apart from that there is nothing I remember that may be deemed redundant by Leopard.
Virtue still has the cool features of activation by motion and light sensing on the laptops...

I may get rid of NetNewsWire due to Mail's built in RSS reader.

If Leopard's live partitioning is any good, I'll get rid of iPartition.

Many will still use SD! and CCC for bootable backups.

Mekgek

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
With quicklook, coverflow, thumbnail previews and improved preview.app I am probably going to use iPhoto a lot less in the future.

dgzylstra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
What about...

What about apps like Archiver or Stuffit? Do you think the built-in archiving will be good enough?

How about something like Ad*be Reader? Is Preview good enough to get rid of Reader altogether?

Maybe programs like Toast? Is the disc-burning functionality more user-friendly in Leopard?

What about Quicksilver (gasp!)? Is Spotlight so good now, that we don't need Quicksilver anymore?

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
What about apps like Archiver or Stuffit? Do you think the built-in archiving will be good enough?

How about something like Ad*be Reader? Is Preview good enough to get rid of Reader altogether?

Maybe programs like Toast? Is the disc-burning functionality more user-friendly in Leopard?

What about Quicksilver (gasp!)? Is Spotlight so good now, that we don't need Quicksilver anymore?
i'm sure Stuffit of Archiver will be needed still and found useful by some.

i've never had Adobe Reader on my Mac, always have used Preview

again, if you want advanced functionality, Toast will probably be the way to go still.

and Quicksilver and Spotlight are two totally different things.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Not all backup software will be redundant. I may even continue using SuperDuper! for drive duplication.
I will use one external for a straight clone and one for Time Machine

what does super duper offer that duplicating a drive in disk utility doesn't?
Smart-update, means backing up my computer (230 GBs) takes about 10 minutes. Apart from that i don't really know/care.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Austin, TX
TimeMachine is NOT the same as backup software. It is a very nice tool for what it does, but is not an imaging solution like SuperDuper! or CCC, and is not a failsafe file backup like Retrospect. Each tool has its purpose, and they are all different. TimeMachine does not render the others useless by any means.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
what does super duper offer that duplicating a drive in disk utility doesn't?
Smart updating. It works out which files have changed and only copies them over, so everything takes a lot less time. Yet the result is still a bootable copy of OSX on your external drive.

Vegeta-san

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2006
Smart updating. It works out which files have changed and only copies them over, so everything takes a lot less time. Yet the result is still a bootable copy of OSX on your external drive.
But ultimately, one would still be able to recover a Mac from a Time Machine backup....Just like you'd be able to do with Super Duper. Time Machine also does its own version of "smart updating" by only backing up things that have changed.

I just really don't see the need for Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner (what I use now) when one has Time Machine. But please, if I'm wrong, inform me so I can continue to use CCC. Thanks.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Does Time Machine actually create bootable backups and images as with SuperDuper? The only thing I can find on the Leopard features page is that you can "Restore from Time Machine" by inserting the Leopard Install DVD, which sounds more like a migration tool than a mobile OSX installation.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
again, if you want advanced functionality, Toast will probably be the way to go still.
For those who currently own a license for Toast, that may be the best suggestion. However, for those who don't, I'd suggest Burn. It offers most, if not all of the same features as Toast, but is free and open-source.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Does Time Machine actually create bootable backups and images as with SuperDuper? The only thing I can find on the Leopard features page is that you can "Restore from Time Machine" by inserting the Leopard Install DVD, which sounds more like a migration tool than a mobile OSX installation.
Obviously a lot of new information abut these last couple of days but this is what is known so far (see the thread far all details)

5) How is time machine different from other backup utilities?

TM keeps track of all the changes made on your drive in a given day and only backs up the changes. Utilizing this information it minimizes the space required for multiple backups and allows you to store further back in time. Most other utilities would require a daily, complete HD backup which would consume a lot of space, and a simple daily backup to the same location would not allow you to go back more than one day. TM allows you to go back and see exactly how your HD looked on any given day (provided you had the BUD connected that day). Given enough storage and minimal changes you may be able to go all the way back to the day you received your computer (for Leopard pre-installs) or the day you installed Leopard. TM creates a history of backups in one place so you can get a previous version of the file, where most other backup utilities would require multiple separate backups in order to walk back to a version of a file before the last backup. Some third party utilities, like Retrospect, already offer some of this functionality.

12a) What happens to my TM backup when i restore my system via recloning with super duper?
12b) What happens when I sync macs?

This one could go a couple of different ways. If the change tracking system is part of the main OS then you could end up in a situation where after cloning, only the files indicates as changed on the clone would get backed up which would mess with the timeline considerably. If the system somehow does a compare to the TM backup then all should be OK. You're first backup after cloning would be akin to a complete HD backup, and if you go back one day you would see the machine as it existed before cloning. At this point with the information available I cannot say how this will work. I'm sure Apple would prefer that you use TM for system restores in order to avoid this potential issue, you may also be able to use TM to make clones as well.

19) Does TM makes bootable backups?

I'm going to guess that due to the way TM keeps track of how your HD looked through history I believe that the TM backup is some large database of files/folders. This would mean it's probably not bootable but the Leopard install CD has an option to restore a disk from TM BUD (confirmed by c-Row).

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
But ultimately, one would still be able to recover a Mac from a Time Machine backup....Just like you'd be able to do with Super Duper. Time Machine also does its own version of "smart updating" by only backing up things that have changed.

I just really don't see the need for Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner (what I use now) when one has Time Machine. But please, if I'm wrong, inform me so I can continue to use CCC. Thanks.
afaik, time machine does incremental backups, but i'm not sure that it creates a bootable copy.

from what it seems to me, time machine backs up your data, but you'll have several copies of documents that you've changed. ie, so you can revert to a previous draft from two days ago, even though you've backed up since then. and so on and so forth. has a nice usage, but might not be for everyone.