Apps requestion "my location"

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Touchy, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Touchy macrumors regular

I have downloaded several apps that want to use my location. It seems that the app searches for this with GPS which obviously won't work with the iPod touch. A few of them allow you to enter a city near your location but the others don't have this feature.
    I wonder if there is a way to use the apps that don't let you put in the city/location? What has been the experience of the forum?

2. iGary Guest

iGary

I uses SkyHook and Wi-Fi to determine your location.

3. Touchy thread starter macrumors regular

Do you mean "it" uses.............? So then it's reasonable to answer yes to the question of letting it determine your location and it does it that way? If so that it great and makes the apps usable with the iPod touch. Any other comments?

4. M. Poirot macrumors member

You can tell the program NOT to use your location.

You can tell the program not to use you location and it'll still load and work fine. Frommers Paris guide does that as does Google Maps/Google Earth. It all depends on the App maker doing their homework and making the app work with/without the location data.

I have 'location services' turned off in my settings so that I get prompted when an app is looking for my location data. It saves the battery as it drains it faster if it's on all the time. This is actually suggested/recommended in the iPod touch user guide from Apple.