Apps running in background

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
Iphone 4: Is there a way to turn certain apps off once you exit out of the app instead of double tapping the home screen button every time you open an app to turn it off??

huskerchad

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Iphone 4: Is there a way to turn certain apps off once you exit out of the app instead of double tapping the home screen button every time you open an app to turn it off??
Apps have to be coded to run in the background, it doesn't just happen automatically. And no, there is no way to turn that off globally or even on a per-app basis (we'll see what jailbreaking brings though).

Which app are you talking about and what is it doing (or what do you think it is doing) in the background?

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2010
So the battery is not being used when I have apps in the tray? When I bought my iphone 4 the apple genius told me that this would consume a lot of battery life if I didn't go into the tray and exit out each time.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
So the battery is not being used when I have apps in the tray? When I bought my iphone 4 the apple genius told me that this would consume a lot of battery life if I didn't go into the tray and exit out each time.
No, that person was wrong. The only thing they're using down there is RAM.

And it's impossible to "run out" of RAM. Once you're out of RAM the phone will kill the oldest app and give the RAM to the newest one. You don't need to wory about it.

What will use battery are the background processes. Like, if you're listening to Pandora in the background or tracking yourself with a GPS app. But if those things are happening it's because you want them to be happening, so that's really not the same thing you're talking about.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
We desperately need a sticky explaining the (limited) way Apple implements and allows multitasking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.