apps running in the background?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Low, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Low macrumors member

ive been noticing ever since 2.0 and downloading apps, my battery life has suffered significantly. at the end of a business day, my phone has 10% battery life. i decided to look at the usage of the phone today and it said i used the phone for 9hrs and some minutes all day today after my full overnight charge. there is no way that this is possible since i know im never on my iphone that much, even if i did have the time, i would just get sick of playing with it.

is there a way to see what apps are actually running in the background? apple said no apps in the background. but i just read one of the IM clients will actually run in the background even when the phone goes to sleep. id like to get my battery life back...anyone got any suggestions? tia.

2. ToddW macrumors 6502a

yep i know what you mean the same thing happened to me today. seems some apps are little buggy and 2.0 needs to be refined a little bit. i've started doing a fresh power cycle in the morning when i disconnect it from the cradle.

3. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

Are any of your apps using location services? You might want to try and switch it off and see what happens. I thought no apps were suppose to run in the background.

4. gibbz macrumors 68030

I think there are some real memory leak problems. Hopefully 2.1 will fix the bugginess.

5. huskydsl macrumors member

huskydsl

maybe apps aren't terminating well and that's why we have the keyboard lag issues. I know things like the AIM client stay active even after you leave the app.

6. Low thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies. yeah i have location services turned off. eq off, auto brightness off, only push is turned on for mobile me, every other email i have is manual. bluetooth is also off, hmm..what else? i pretty have tried to keep the phone just to a minimum even pre-2.0. i sure hope apple will polish it up real soon...not having to call home after work is really annoying and inconvenient.

7. huskydsl macrumors member

huskydsl

is there a battery calibration procedure for the iPhone like there is on apple laptops?

8. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

i think there is a problem with mobileme/exchange, where the iphone is not disconnecting properly from the server.

wouldn't be surprised to see this "usage" problem fixed in a later update.

i too have this error, and when it doesnt occur, i think that i could go 2-3 days without a recharge. however when this bug does occur, you are lucky to get 12 hours.

this problem is being discussed at apple discussions, and on the zimbra forums.

9. Low thread starter macrumors member

if its just a matter of draining the battery to basically 0% then i guess ive been doing that since 2.0 almost every other day. something is definitely not right.