Apps say "Waiting..."

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by bdzer, Jun 11, 2013.

1. bdzer macrumors member

2. mkstewartesq@co macrumors regular

For me, I had to open the App Store and go to Updates tab. There you will need to reenter your security code for your Itunes account credit card. In other words, it's hanging because it needs you to verify/reenter your billing info before proceeding. Then I had to go to the updates tab and hit "update" again for each app ("update all" may have worked too, didn't try it.)

From then on, all should work normally.

M

3. bdzer thread starter macrumors member

Sadly this didn't work for me. I have around 10 apps sitting in Waiting... and I can't update or delete them.

4. bdzer thread starter macrumors member

A lot of people seem to have this problem. The apps still work if I navigate to the App Store and open it from there.

5. GrantMeThePower macrumors regular

I'm having this same problem and can't seem to resolve it...anyone find a way?

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Mike did that. Eventually corrected itself and then the notification center said "43 apps updated".

Not sure why they updated. As far as I could tell, I had no app updates waiting when I installed iOS 7.

7. bdzer thread starter macrumors member

I think I've tried just about everything, I'd go through iTunes and even remove and readd the app, it'll go back to Waiting shortly after

8. Tharian, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

Tharian macrumors regular

I had success simply tapping on the "waiting" apps. It looked like they had to re-download, but it worked for all of mine that had that issue.

-d

9. bueller1 macrumors 6502

Just go into settings, general, usage and delete the app under Storage. It will leave a grid icon with the name of the app on your home screen. Which you can then hold down and tap the little X. Opening the grid icon will open a distorted grid picture

10. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

I did this and now the phone crashes if I try to reinstall the app.

11. kenshinhimura macrumors member

I did this and deleted the apps, but not able to install again from app store.

12. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Yep. Seems a lot of people don't know that tapping an app can resume/pause downloads.

13. kerrikins, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013

kerrikins macrumors 65816

Tapping on mine did nothing, so I'm doing a restore from back-up again to see if that fixes the problem. They were fine and then switched to 'Waiting..." at some point.

Found what seems to be a solution :)

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or due to server load on Apple, but the following fixed it:

App Store -> Updates -> Purchased -> Scroll down and click on all apps that have a little 'paused' icon beside them.

There are three symbols - a little cloud, a pause and 'open'. The ones that have the pause icon are probably the ones that are causing the problem, at least they were in my case.

14. OneForGadgets macrumors member

I end up turning off the "automatic updates" due to the headache from them.

General > iTunes and App Store > Apps

Turn it off to relieve some of the headache at least.

15. shortcrust macrumors 6502

This worked for me!:D

16. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

i had this same issue last night. once i switched to wifi, they updated. but i had the issue again today on wifi, it wouldnt update automatically even though i set it to do so over LTE. i had to again manually update the app.

17. epphllps macrumors 6502

I went into settings and usage and deleted 3 app updates that wouldn't update. Now I can't reinstall those apps at all. Clicking the cloud icon does nothing. Has anyone found the solution to this yet?

18. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

I had this exact problem with Pandora. Here is how I fixed it:

Connect your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes. Go into the Apps section, where it shows all of your screens. Delete the problem apps from the LIST in iTunes, not from the screens. Sync. Reinstall them on the phone when you're done.

19. superflush macrumors 6502a

I encountered this problem when I opened up the App Store while on a very slow connection. The App Store wanted to update some apps, but I didn't have a strong enough connection for the apps to be updated. So, they were just in "Waiting" limbo. I thought that rebooting the phone would fix it, but it didn't. I think this is a problem with the Auto-Updates (there should be a way to cancel it if its not working. Anything that would still allow you to use the app).

20. epphllps macrumors 6502

Your method seems to be the only fix for this particular issue. Updated them via iTunes then installed them on the phone. Thanks for the help.

21. techno77 macrumors newbie

OMG! Thank you! Was about to restore to iOS 6, now all my apps are updating! Now if only the animations would be faster... Slightly better than beta 1 but still too slow, makes it feel laggy, iOS 6 beta 5 wasn't like this but apparently iOS 7 beta 5 is, wonder how long until beta 6

22. scoop2mylue macrumors 6502a

scoop2mylue

I am running into the same problem...tried everything mentioned above nothing is fixing this issue...didn't run into this problem until I updated to beta 5

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

Even the iTunes method? That should really bypass all that.