Apps say "Waiting..."

mkstewartesq@co

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Anyone know why this is or how to fix it?
For me, I had to open the App Store and go to Updates tab. There you will need to reenter your security code for your Itunes account credit card. In other words, it's hanging because it needs you to verify/reenter your billing info before proceeding. Then I had to go to the updates tab and hit "update" again for each app ("update all" may have worked too, didn't try it.)

From then on, all should work normally.

M

bdzer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Washington
For me, I had to open the App Store and go to Updates tab. There you will need to reenter your security code for your Itunes account credit card. In other words, it's hanging because it needs you to verify/reenter your billing info before proceeding. Then I had to go to the updates tab and hit "update" again for each app ("update all" may have worked too, didn't try it.)

M
Sadly this didn't work for me. I have around 10 apps sitting in Waiting... and I can't update or delete them.

bdzer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Washington
A lot of people seem to have this problem. The apps still work if I navigate to the App Store and open it from there.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Mike did that. Eventually corrected itself and then the notification center said "43 apps updated".

Not sure why they updated. As far as I could tell, I had no app updates waiting when I installed iOS 7.

bdzer

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Washington
I think I've tried just about everything, I'd go through iTunes and even remove and readd the app, it'll go back to Waiting shortly after

Tharian

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
I think I've tried just about everything, I'd go through iTunes and even remove and readd the app, it'll go back to Waiting shortly after
I had success simply tapping on the "waiting" apps. It looked like they had to re-download, but it worked for all of mine that had that issue.

-d

Last edited:

bueller1

Suspended
Jun 13, 2012
Just go into settings, general, usage and delete the app under Storage. It will leave a grid icon with the name of the app on your home screen. Which you can then hold down and tap the little X. Opening the grid icon will open a distorted grid picture

Nebrie

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
Just go into settings, general, usage and delete the app under Storage. It will leave a grid icon with the name of the app on your home screen. Which you can then hold down and tap the little X. Opening the grid icon will open a distorted grid picture
I did this and now the phone crashes if I try to reinstall the app.

kenshinhimura

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
I did this and deleted the apps, but not able to install again from app store.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Tapping on mine did nothing, so I'm doing a restore from back-up again to see if that fixes the problem. They were fine and then switched to 'Waiting..." at some point.

Found what seems to be a solution :)

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or due to server load on Apple, but the following fixed it:

App Store -> Updates -> Purchased -> Scroll down and click on all apps that have a little 'paused' icon beside them.

There are three symbols - a little cloud, a pause and 'open'. The ones that have the pause icon are probably the ones that are causing the problem, at least they were in my case.

Last edited:

OneForGadgets

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
I end up turning off the "automatic updates" due to the headache from them.

General > iTunes and App Store > Apps

Turn it off to relieve some of the headache at least.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
Tapping on mine did nothing, so I'm doing a restore from back-up again to see if that fixes the problem. They were fine and then switched to 'Waiting..." at some point.

Found what seems to be a solution :)

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or due to server load on Apple, but the following fixed it:

App Store -> Updates -> Purchased -> Scroll down and click on all apps that have a little 'paused' icon beside them.

There are three symbols - a little cloud, a pause and 'open'. The ones that have the pause icon are probably the ones that are causing the problem, at least they were in my case.
This worked for me!:D

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i had this same issue last night. once i switched to wifi, they updated. but i had the issue again today on wifi, it wouldnt update automatically even though i set it to do so over LTE. i had to again manually update the app.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
I went into settings and usage and deleted 3 app updates that wouldn't update. Now I can't reinstall those apps at all. Clicking the cloud icon does nothing. Has anyone found the solution to this yet?

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I went into settings and usage and deleted 3 app updates that wouldn't update. Now I can't reinstall those apps at all. Clicking the cloud icon does nothing. Has anyone found the solution to this yet?
I had this exact problem with Pandora. Here is how I fixed it:

Connect your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes. Go into the Apps section, where it shows all of your screens. Delete the problem apps from the LIST in iTunes, not from the screens. Sync. Reinstall them on the phone when you're done.

superflush

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2009
I encountered this problem when I opened up the App Store while on a very slow connection. The App Store wanted to update some apps, but I didn't have a strong enough connection for the apps to be updated. So, they were just in "Waiting" limbo. I thought that rebooting the phone would fix it, but it didn't. I think this is a problem with the Auto-Updates (there should be a way to cancel it if its not working. Anything that would still allow you to use the app).

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
I had this exact problem with Pandora. Here is how I fixed it:

Connect your iPhone to your computer and open iTunes. Go into the Apps section, where it shows all of your screens. Delete the problem apps from the LIST in iTunes, not from the screens. Sync. Reinstall them on the phone when you're done.
Your method seems to be the only fix for this particular issue. Updated them via iTunes then installed them on the phone. Thanks for the help.

techno77

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2011

M
OMG! Thank you! Was about to restore to iOS 6, now all my apps are updating! Now if only the animations would be faster... Slightly better than beta 1 but still too slow, makes it feel laggy, iOS 6 beta 5 wasn't like this but apparently iOS 7 beta 5 is, wonder how long until beta 6

scoop2mylue

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2010
Indiana
I am running into the same problem...tried everything mentioned above nothing is fixing this issue...didn't run into this problem until I updated to beta 5

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am running into the same problem...tried everything mentioned above nothing is fixing this issue...didn't run into this problem until I updated to beta 5
Even the iTunes method? That should really bypass all that.