Apps security and spyware...

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Onemorerun, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Onemorerun macrumors member

So I came across this app "Pc Monitor" that is free today (normally $1.99).

From the description it will allow me to wake and shutdown my computer from my iphone/ipad.

This is something I have been wanting to do for awhile as I always keep my computer "awake" as I want to connect to my computer remotely and the service I am using I always need to keep it awake. I have been unsuccessful trying to ping my computer through other means. Not so technical savvy in this regard, although I know my motherboard supports it.

Anyways, this looks like a little app that can help me dumb down the procedure of pinging my computer awake. However, I wonder if apps like these can have any security issues, spyware etc.

Anybody have experience using this?

Thanks.

2. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

If you use vnc or screen sharing there is an option in system pref on the computer to allow wake from sleep kind of makes this app not needed

3. Onemorerun thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I don't know.

I called Gotomypc tech support as they advertise something similar. They said that you still needed a computer always awake on your network to ping your other computer awake. It sort of defeated the purpose of it for me.

Not an expert at this sort of technology so just stumbling trying to get it to work.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It doesn't have to be a computer -- some routers can do it.

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/08/29/snow-leopard-extends-wake-on-lan-feature-if-your-config-is-ri/

^^ So in principle, if you have an appropriate Apple router, you can have all the computers on your network at home asleep, and then you can wake them remotely by sending the request to the router, which in turn wakes the computer.

5. joycecity macrumors newbie

joycecity

Spyware

I know that mSpy application is popular nowadays- you can spy on a cell phone (read SMS, Call logs, Emails, etc), not PC. However, I guess you'd be able to monitor iPad as well. :cool: