Apps separately auto-quitting, mouse moving by itself...hacked?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shotgun OS, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

Hello everyone,

I was just about to get off of the internet and go to sleep when some of the windows and applications I had open closed by themselves. I had several Safari windows open (Facebook, Engadget, and a couple others), and a couple of other applications (VLC, iTunes, Skype, Echofon). I was just about to delete a post on my wall on Facebook when one window closed, then another....then another...then Echofon, then Skype. At the same time, my mouse was acting sporadically and wouldn't let me click or move it, and the cursor seemed to disappear and flash as it moved. The closing of the windows/apps happened with uneven time intervals, and it happened across several apps. As soon as I could, I disconnected my Wifi and rebooted.

I don't know if it's worth noting, but my internet was acting really slow and laggy for the past day, and now after this incident it's back up to lightning speed.

Was I somehow hacked? What could've caused this?

Thanks.

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Anything is possible, the first thing that comes to mind is that someone figured out your Screen Share password.

If you wan to change the password or turn it off (even to check to see if this is the issue at all) go to Sharing, and see if "Remote Management" is checked. If it is, be sure you have a password, if so, change it. If it's off, then I don't know what the issue could be.

Any way you could use Quicktime to do a screen recording?

DEIT: While extremely difficult, it is possible to hack a Mac under very specific circumstances, e.g. someone on your network, and they know your passwords.

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Likelier by a factor of a zillion is that you experienced what people call 'a bug' .

I mean, I know Macs are good 'n all, but whenever someone experiences something unexpected on their mac, why is it always a virus or a hacker they jump to as the immediate explanation?

Why, just once in a while, can't it be a plain, old-fashioned bug?

4. Shotgun OS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Screen Sharing was unchecked already, and Remote Management was also unchecked. Only Bluetooth Sharing is checked.

Don't think I can do a Quicktime recording....this is the first time this has ever happened. I think someone might have been on my network and knew my password - if someone was on my network and sucking my signal, it could also explain why my network was running slower than normal.

I might not have made it clear in my original post, but when I said my windows were closing, I meant that I saw a ghosted/flashing cursor move up to the red bubbles and close them out. My mouse cursor originally disappeared; but I could see it moving across my screen because it flashed for a split second, then disappeared. Normally I wouldn't say it was a hacker, but the way this all happened made it seem like I got hacked.

5. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

have you been installing anything recently, say prior to all this happening, that required you to enter in your admin password?

6. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

By a pretty pathetic hacker? Did you look in the system log?

7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Disable all the sharing options and also change your passwords! Have you installed any torrented apps? Iwork?...

8. Shotgun OS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope. I always make sure that I'm installing legit software and using my password with care.

Didn't look at the log. It was the last thing on my mind.

I have torrent apps but haven't used one in ages. Don't have iWork.

This is the first time I've really been on this Macbook since the incident. Before I asked this question I changed my passwords and such. I think I'm secure for now, but if anything else happens I will post on it.

9. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

This happened to me, too.

I have no idea if it was hacking. Seems quite unlikely just knowing my computer, my passwords, and the kind of people living near enough to even see my network.

I changed my passwords and repaired disk permissions. Hasn't happened since.

Still don't know what it was.