Apps showing up on phone...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NastyComputers, Aug 10, 2011.

1. NastyComputers macrumors regular

NastyComputers

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I have a question, when every my wife downloads anything from the app store the app also shows up on my phone. Our phones are set up through the same iTunes account but the is the only think I can think of why this is happening. And for reference the apps I get don't show on hers. We currently don't have the wifi set up in the house nor ever use Bluetooth, anyone have any ideas??

2. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Are you using iCloud?

3. twitt3r, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

twitt3r macrumors 6502

Yeah, you have your phone set to automatically sync apps when you connect to iTunes, she does not. Either that, or you are running iOS5 (iCloud) but not setup correctly.

4. NastyComputers thread starter macrumors regular

NastyComputers

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Icloud isn't available yet right? Nor is ios5? She hasn't sync her phone in I would say close to a year, and I havent in a month or so. It happens right away when she downloads something...

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Although iCloud and iOS 5 are not fully activated, some elements of iCloud and how it interfaces with iTunes were enabled, primarily the ability to redownload purchased music, and more recently TV shows. The setting you are going to want to look for on your iPhone is in Settings->Store. If automatic download is enabled for Apps, disable that if you do not want your wife's purchases to appear on your iPhone.

6. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

I you connect your iPhone and go to the apps tab, if the "automatically sync new apps" check box at the bottom of the list is check then this will happen.

7. NastyComputers thread starter macrumors regular

NastyComputers

Would this happen if I don't sync my phone, I told her to download something (she's at home and I'm at work) and I see it actively downloading on my phone.

8. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Yup, you don't need to be connected to the computer to utilize automatic downloads. Apps that you have on your iPhone but your wife doesn't have will download to her iPhone and vice versa.

You can always turn off automatic downloads like JediMeister said and in addition, you can be turned off in the "Store" section of the Settings app on the device itself.

9. los318 macrumors 6502

los318

the App Store iCloud feature is available to everyone already. It was ready right after WWDC. If you install using that little "cloud" icon it'll go to every device that uses your itunes account. i believe if you install by using the "install" button, it only goes to your device.

10. NastyComputers thread starter macrumors regular

NastyComputers

I see! Thank you guy very much

11. jonrando macrumors 6502a

No problem. Any device running iOS 4.3 and up had this feature. It's a little taste of iCloud. :)

12. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Set it up as you're supposed to and create your own separate apple ID, then on each computer set up Home Sharing. Then you can pick and choose which apps you want. Everyone wins.

13. shandyman Suspended

no, it's not iCloud really, it's iTunes in the Cloud, although it comes under the iCloud umbrella, it's a different entity, like photostream is a seperate entity.

technically you're not supposed to be sharing your apple ID with other people, it's bending the rules to the point of breaking really. It makes me laugh that people complain about this feature as if it's a bug, but apple do not intend people to be sharing their apple ID, so the fact it does this across devices is actually by their design and won't change.

basically you don't want it, turn it off, you do want it, get seperate apple ID's and get your own seperate apps.

14. jonrando macrumors 6502a

*sigh* It's iCloud. Even though it's a different entity, it's considered iCloud.

Who said he was sharing his Apple ID with anyone? Since it's iCloud, it pushes it to all devices. Like Steve was explaining at WWDC with the Calendar...if his wife made an event in the Calendar, it'd automatically push it to his device without having to do anything. It's the same case here, just with apps.

15. touchmonkey macrumors 6502

I thought I was going crazy.
    I am, but weird stuff is also happening.
    They are not mutually exclusive.

16. jonrando macrumors 6502a

Huh?

17. shandyman, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

shandyman Suspended

app and song syncing is specifically marketed under iTunes in the Cloud, not iCloud, therefore it's iTunes in the Cloud. I like how you contradict yourself by admitting iTunes in the Cloud is a seperate entity but then say its iCloud tho.

If you paid attention, Steve was demo-ing SHARED calenders, you invite someone to share your calender and then you both can add and amend events, but yea, nice to see you are thoroughly checking your facts again, it's like the "apple would never go up to 6 betas" when it was then proven they went to 6 and even 8 :p The OP himself said he was sharing his apple ID with his wife, thus why the apps are syncing across devices. the proper intention of this is for people that want things on their own iPad and iPhone, like i have been doing, i buy an app on my iPad and it auto-downloads to my iPhone.

Here's a link to the video explaining calender sharing.....