Apps slow to update for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by crashoverride77, Sep 29, 2014.

1. crashoverride77 macrumors 65816

I know that the phone just came out but it seems apps are very slow to update for the bigger screens.
    The only optimised app so far on my 6, apart from apples own, is Twitter. There must be difference between ios 8 optimised and iphone 6 optimised.
    The IGN app got updated recently stating that it is iphone 6 and ios 8 optimised, but it still looks zoomed in.
    I expected all major apps to be updated faster, what do you guys think? Did it take that long when the iPhone 5 came out?
    At least on the 6 it stretches the app rather than having black bars at the top and bottom.

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

15 of my apps updated for the iPhone 6 displays. Note that some of them support iPhone 6 and not the Plus.

3. BrettDS macrumors 65816

There have been a number of threads about this, but the big problem is that although the app developers could start developing for iOS 8 over the summer during the iOS 8 beta period apple never announced the resolution of the new iphones (or even acknowledged that the new phones would have bigger, higher resolution screens), so the developers found out what screen size and resolution they would need to develop for at the same time everyone else found out on 9/12. And it takes some time to rework the apps to natively suport the larger screens... then the apps need to be submitted and reviewed by apple and it sounds like there's quite a backlog now because a lot of apps are being updated to support iOS 8 and the new phones.

It definitely took a few weeks or even a few months with the iphone 5 before the majority of apps had been updated, but in the case of the iphone 5 it was a bit easier to rework a lot of apps because the screen just got slightly longer. With the six (and especially the 6 plus) there's a lot more screen real estate, so some apps may need to be totally redesigned.

And in answer to your other question, optimized for iOS 8 simply means that it's optimized for the OS and doesn't necessarily mean that it will support the larger screens. If the app says it's optimized for the iPhone 6 and 6+, then you know it will support the larger screens.

4. crashoverride77 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey, thanks for your quick reply. I do have the iPhone 6 not the plus. I don't have that many apps, but all the major ones like Facebook, Netflix, YouTube, LinkedIn, what's app, ebay, Amazon etc are not updated yet.

There is nothing I have to change in settings to make the optimised apps not zoomed? Like I said IGN app said its now updated for iOS 8 and iPhone 6, but it's still zoomed in on my phone.

5. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

6. crashoverride77 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for your informative reply. I was just thinking the same about the iPhone 5 only being longer, whereas the iPhone 6s having both much bigger screens.
    What's confusing me is the IGN app example I mentioned, it states that it recently got updated for iOS 8 and iPhone 6, but it still zooms on my 6.
    Guess I just have to wait, 10 points for Twitter being very fast to update compared to the other major apps.

7. odditie macrumors 6502

I've heard a few developers make comments about how the app store approval process is backed up. I don't know exactly how far backed up it is, but I believe one person said it was backed up weeks.

By the end of October I imagine anyone who is a major app developer will have their app updated for the most part. Just a guess.

8. gardiboy macrumors 6502a

What does 'backed up' mean? There's a backlog?

9. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

It is very likely the Twitter had access to the new phone well before sort of normal developers, in the same sort of way that the developers that they use for demos during the keynote are.

There are a few things at play here though. The first is that developers were never included in the new phone size/resolution or anything else. It would be relatively foolish to waste precious development time to develop for a rumored screen size or resolution. It was barely over a week between when developers found out (and had compilers that could do the job) and when the phone came out.

Beyond that, the majority of developers won't (I know I fall in this category) release an app without being able to try it on a physical device. Without having hardware in hand we have no way to know 100% how it will function. No dev wants to release an update that completely breaks on a whole range of devices. Constricted supply and not allowing advanced hardware causes this sort of problem.

I don't necessarily begrudge Apple for doing it this way, but Apple creates this problem for itself every year. They want the release to be a surprise to everyone, but by keep developers in the dark they release a phone with almost no optimized software. It's a trade off.

10. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

There are more apps to be reviewed and approved all at once than usual. This usually happens when there's a new major iOS release, and especially when Apple changes the dimensions of the screen.

Yeah, it's frustrating for the end users because Apple insists on being so secretive. I wish they would clue the developers in on what's coming ahead of time so that they could get their apps ready for the iOS launch date.

11. crashoverride77 thread starter macrumors 65816

I see what you mean. To be fair it's not like Apple is changing the screen every year, the iPhone 6 and 6plus screen size will likely stick around for a while.
    I'm still not sure yet if I prefer the black bars we had when they changed the screen in the iPhone 5 or the new scaled approach on the iPhone 6s.

12. WordMasterRice macrumors 6502a

They don't change the screen size no, but they do generally change something in the hardware that they don't announce. Regardless of that though, developers are reluctant to release an update for a device on which they can not test, which is a different issue.

13. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I'm not sure about that app in particular, but there were a few apps that flat out wouldn't run or had various issues on the iPhone 6. It's possible that it had some minor issues that were fixed, but they didn't fully optimize it for the new phones.

Like I said above, if you see the App Store description say 'optimized for the iPhone 6 and 6 plus' then you know it won't be zoomed. Without that, it will be.