Apps still running after restarting phone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by YamahaJ93, Apr 27, 2013.

1. YamahaJ93 macrumors newbie

On the iPhone 5 why do the apps still appear to be running in the multi task bar ? I turned it off for about 10 minutes then back on and they are still running..thanks

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They are not running. They are there because they were the last used apps. Apps in the multitasking bar are not running, they are frozen and consume very little to no CPU cycles.

3. YamahaJ93 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok but why wouldn't restarting the phone clear that from even showing? Always thought when you restart it, it kinda makes it fresh again

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It does make it fresh. They're there to show you what apps you last used.

5. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

In earlier versions of iOS a restart did clear the apps displayed. I don't remember which version changed that behavior but it was fairly recent. Among the many other things I don't know is why Apple made that change.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

iOS has never cleared the apps from the multitasking bar. They've always stayed ever since it was introduced in iOS 4.0.

7. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

My first (and current) iPhone was the iPhone 4 shortly after it was released and which I believe came with iOS 4.0
    I did a bit of searching hoping to substantiate the behavior I remember and found one site that agreed with me -- until I got to the "Update" in the last paragraph. http://ipadinsight.com/ios/oh-ios-5-doesnt-clear-apps-from-multitasking-bar-when-you-restart/
    Apologies for my bad memory!

8. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Unfortunately, my 3Gs running iOS 4.3.3 doesn't agree with that. They stay there until manually removed.

9. FoxFifth macrumors 6502

I'm agreeing with you -- and so is the writer of that article (although I and the writer of the article were both wrong to begin with).

10. YamahaJ93 thread starter macrumors newbie

ive had it off for more than 30 mins once and im pretty sure they did disappear from the bar but i could be wrong