Apps that cause slow back up time?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Metsfan7450, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

It's my understanding that there are certain apps that can be the cause of slow backup times. My iPad takes about 15-20 minutes to backup so I'm assuming it's due to certain apps I've downloaded since it hasn't always taken this long. I've searched the forums and can't find a list of these apps and/or how one can tell which apps slow down the backup time.

Please let me know if you know of the apps that cause slow backups and/or if you know of a way to determine which ones they are.

2. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

I think the bigger the app (in terms of data) the slower the back up. Especially if the app contains lots of files. I noticed that when I added a 100 or so PDFs to Noterize that the back up slowed. Same is true after I got Looptastic HD and downloaded all the free loop sets.

3. Metsfan7450 thread starter macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

Ok, that makes sense. I just started using file sharing with the Comic Zeal app. I guess that could be part of the problem.

4. spammerhamster macrumors 6502

It's the amount of files which causes slowdown.

Notorious ones are:
    Comic zeal
    Goodreader
    Zinio
    Mobilerss
    Readitlater

5. Metsfan7450 thread starter macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

I found the culprit and it wasn't Comic Zeal as I thought. It was the People Mag app. I had 6-7 issues on there. I deleted all but one and reduced my back up time from about 1 hour to about 10 minutes.

6. sinsin07 macrumors 68030

After not backing up for awhile, I roughly calculated that my next backup would take 4 days. (It did not help that I had 18 pages of apps, not jail broken though). Even if I was willing to wait that long, I don't want my iPad screen to be on 4 days straight. (Apple should let the screen go to sleep while doing a backup.)

I found this link: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1001871&highlight=slow+backup so I downloaded the software and saw what was taking so long. This app gives you a live view of the backup process. I wish the app owner would allow copy to text though.

Clue on some killer apps:
    Men Magazine, Zino and most other magazine apps
    Most comic apps
    I can't remember the rest, but you'd be surprised at some of the apps that really slow down the backup.

7. cakbar macrumors regular

Pandora is my culprit. My last backup took approximately 1 hour. 55 minutes of that was Pandora. Since my Pandora stations etc.. are stored on their servers, it's easier for me to just delete the Pandora app before syncing, then reinstall afterwards.