Apps that require a newer (i series) macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by smurray, Aug 12, 2014.

1. smurray macrumors regular

Trying to see if I can convince my school district that I need a new laptop. I have a mid 2010 white macbook and some of the new teachers just received new 11" macbook airs. Only way I can get my school to upgrade my computer is to convince them there are apps I could use in the classroom that require a newer computer. Are there any apps I could point out that require something with newer hardware than what I currently have?

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

It's not so much the computer as the version of OSX. Your Mac will take 10.9 Mavericks, so they could just say upgrade to that, which is free.

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Is this the same Macbook that you just asked about here?: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19469660

If the laptop belongs to the school, then you may be limited with how you can upgrade.
    As Dave Braine pointed out, if you are already running an updated system (OS X 10.9), which your MacBook will certainly do, then it's good (just not brand-new :D )
    You apparently just get the luck of the draw when issued a 4 year old laptop, when other staff get brand new...
    And, the school should be able to easily answer your questions about the Home Sync, too.

4. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

I doubt there are apps for the classroom that we out in the general public will know about. I assume there are apps you have for your register, grade book, and any special apps for your curriculum, department, school, or school system.

As others have point out much of this comes down to which OS you can run. White Macbook 7,1 runs Mavericks and will run Yosemite just file. If the performance is slower than you want, ask the school IT folks to jack up the memory to 8GB (less than $100) and replace the HD with an SSD (500GB Samsung EVP 840 is around $260). Those chances could greatly step the performance.

I have done one of the 2010 Macbook 7,1 for the niece. I just bought a couple more on ebay that I will refurb. One goes to the same niece so her 4 kids have two MacBooks to share. One goes to my brother who has retired and finally given up on Windows. And the third goes to a friend's grandson.