apps that show video full screen iPhone x

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by goofy810, Nov 6, 2017.

1. goofy810 macrumors regular

I am loving my iphone x but was hoping to use tivo and direct tv now in full screen and just ignore the notch.
    but it seems they all show in the boxed window with the screen size of the iphone 7 or 8 none plus.

DOes anyone know when or if any of the video apps will update to work with the new res?

2. goofy810 thread starter macrumors regular

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

A few apps that already work that I’ve used are YouTube, Netflix, and the Apple TV app. Now that movies anywhere exist it’s nice having all of my digital movies from vudu in iTunes.

4. goofy810 thread starter macrumors regular

I was using netflix this am, How do you make it full screen ? did they just update it ?

5. Technarchy macrumors 604

Technarchy

Do you mean full screen natively? If so that is going to be a challenge since I don’t know of any native content formatted in the X’s unique 19.5:9 aspect ratio.

The only full screen experience you’ll get involves zooming and/or cropping of video to fit the X display.

Anything played natively will have black bars somewhere.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

netflix is a double tap to go full screen. Some apps are pinch to zoom (youtube) and others are double tap (netflix). Netflix has worked since release of the X.

7. Riffz60 macrumors newbie

The screen is taller to allow for more space for app information etc. It isn’t intended to increase the space for video playback because most videos aren’t distributed the same as the phones aspect ratio.

If you really want to stretch the videos to go full screen with the notch you’ll be losing information from the top/bottom.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It shockingly is very little video you lose. I was worried about that, and was afraid it would look like "zoom" on a traditional TV, but it is far less dramatic.