Apps that start on startup/login without my permission

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LiquidHarmony, Aug 7, 2009.

1. LiquidHarmony macrumors newbie

Short version:
    How do I stop intrusive apps from running at startup/login? I checked both libraries > StartupItems and System > StartupItems.

Long version + rambling:
    So there is this intrusive app that I installed, and it keeps adding a folder in my Documents folder. Everytime I delete it, it comes back on startup.

I thought it would be much easier to find the file responsible for starting this app on startup, but I was disappointed. But I'm betting it's not as difficult as searching the Windows registry.

Anyway, it's not among the 'login' items, and I searched the main Library, and my User Library, and even the System's 'startup' folders, and found nothing. So what's the deal?

Before you make any accusations, the app I'm using is Parallels, and yeah, there's probably some preference I could change to stop it from doing that, but I would like to do this manually, and learn more about how OS X works. I want to stop the app from running without my permission when I log in. (I'm stubborn, and want to show this app who's boss around here!)

I'm thankful that in OS X, apps are much less intrusive than Windows ones, and they're only intrusive when I give them my password, from my experience at least. Am I right? But goodness I hate how intrusiveness followed me here from Windows. It would have been a deal breaker, had I known how many files (hidden or otherwise) it was going to scatter across my tidy Mac.

2. sascha h-k macrumors 6502

sascha h-k

go to system-pane down the apple ..

there to user: here open startupitems and do a "-"

to start without password: same window, left corner/startoptions and choose automatic ...

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

While the offending app is running ctrl-click (or right-click) its icon in the dock. De-select "Open at Login" and you're done.

You could probably type some arcane nonsense in a terminal window or go burrowing through your file-system in search of something to edit if you really wanted to, but you'll achieve the same effect.

5. LiquidHarmony thread starter macrumors newbie

No no. I forgot to mention in the short version that I already checked there. There's nothing. And yet, it keeps creating that stupid folder in my documents.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If I get this right, Parallels is the application that keeps starting at login, but it doesn't show up in any of the places you have looked at?

Has Parallels maybe an option in its preferences?

I find it hard to believe, that Parallels has such a behaviour....

Has MRoogle helped anything?

7. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I don't have Parallels, but found this on the web here:

8. LiquidHarmony thread starter macrumors newbie

Eh, so I set the default Parallels directory from '~\Documents' to '~\.Trash'. Hahaha.

Anyway, so no one can tell me where such information is stored? I wanna know how the **** does Parallels create this directory on login! Are there any startup items folder or file around the hard drive that I'm not aware of? I would really like to know for future use.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

You might run into problems there when you actually want to use Parallels.

10. LiquidHarmony thread starter macrumors newbie

The folder is always empty. It annoys the hell out of me, because there doesn't seem to be any logical explanation on how it gets created when I log in, or why the heck it's created in the first place if Parallels doesn't intend to copy any files into it. I am obsessive about figuring things like this out.

11. mark.s macrumors newbie

Been a long while since I used Parallels, but from what I remember it installs kernel extensions to work.

It's possible that this is happening on OS startup. Not much you can do about it unless you uninstall Parallels, I think.

12. LiquidHarmony thread starter macrumors newbie

I found my answer!

That's all I wanted to know.

13. belvdr macrumors 603

14. Elenriel macrumors newbie

Ok Im sorry to drag up an old thread but I am in desperate need of help. iTunes is going berserk. I'm not clicking on it, and i am constantly QUITTING the application! it continues to open up all by itself every 2 minutes...or less. Ive checked the settings for start up, so it wont open at login, I've said it wont auto open in my preferences, and i'm really not sure what to do. Help please!!!