iPad Pro Apps that support Apple Pencil

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brinary001, Nov 4, 2015.

1. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

I thought it would be best to have a post that lists the apps that support Apple Pencil on the new iPad Pro. We don't know much about Pencil or even the iPad Pro as a whole as it is yet to be released. Every note taking and drawing app may just support it out of the box without hesitation. Although even if this is the case it doesn't mean it'll support it well; software updates may be needed in the future from the respective developers.

A lot of students, artists, designers, etc. will be very interested in what many critics have dubbed one of the best styli every made. Therefore, the category of app in question is note taking and artistry apps, though it is certainly not limited to those. I apologize if this has already been done, but I didn't see anything like this post when I searched for it. Also, this should probably be a wiki, but I am unaware on how to make this a wiki post. If this has already been taken care of and I missed it, or if there's no technical flaw on day one with these apps, I'll simply take this down.

2. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

... for ipad pro.

Paper app should be ready for applepen.

3. thedon1 macrumors 6502

Have the developers said anything about supporting the Apple Pencil? I really want to be able to use Paper with the Pro and the stylus.

4. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

They will give more info when the pro is available but they said that the app itself is working and looking good on pro. Apple is marketing Paper app like a great companion for Apple pen, so... Lije i said, it should work.

5. biosci macrumors 6502a

I already had a couple apps update with iPad Pro and Apple Pencil support...

6. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

I would think the Pencil would mimic the touch input since Apple could build in the API compatibility; the challenge would be how to handle higher resolution input. In any case, I would think it would be easier to update an app since the API is prt of the system and thus the app doesn't need to handle the input decoding for things such as palm recognition, pressure, etc.

7. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

No app has really ever needed to do that on a system that had stylus support (like the Surface).

But yes, the pencil shows up as touches, so it should just work for high resolution input. It's the pressure and tilt data you gotta fetch yourself from the touch and act on it. If your app doesn't even have the concept of pressure, then that's more work since you have to turn the pressure value into whatever you want to do with it in your app. See the public docs on UITouch if your are curious how apps get the information.

8. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

Yes. Check out Apple's website on their Pencil section.

9. WhatYearIsThis macrumors newbie

WhatYearIsThis

I use iBooks a lot for studying. I hope iBooks will support the Apple Pencil to make annotations.

10. KitsuneKatari macrumors newbie

KitsuneKatari

Does anyone know what app they were using in the key note when he used two fingers for a ruler device and the pen to write along it?

11. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

think thats the new re-vamped stock Notes app

12. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

Thanks. That's why I'm glad Apple is building in stylus support into the OS, which means it'll allow more apps to be compatible with basic functions out of the box since they'll see the stylus as just another input and the API handles all the backend stuff. That's a lot better than the bluetooth solution that never really worked well and had limited app compatibility as far as the stylus features, such as palm rejection, were concerned, at least not the 6 or so I've tried.

13. brinary001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brinary001

Could you share what they are?

14. brinary001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brinary001

I just looked at Apple's page for Pencil, and all they say is that it will work system-wide as well as with apps from the app store. From there they plug Paper but don't name any apps specifically. It almost sounds like all writing and drawing apps would be supported, which would be incredible but also reasonable considering Apple probably takes care of all the API handling so the devs don't have to do anything.

15. biosci macrumors 6502a

Two of my most used apps, Evernote and Notability. I've seen Paper done in videos but not an official release yet.

16. sketchguy macrumors member

sketchguy

We know from the keynote that Adobe will have a few apps (Photoshop Fix, Sketch) that already support the pencil, in addition to Procreate and Paper. There was also a 3D concept app, uMake, that looks very interesting as well: https://www.umake.xyz/

17. nickyD410 macrumors 6502

nickyD410

wow. umake looks very interesting. Its like a very sketchy and quick version of solidworks. As someone whos learning solidworks as they go, I could see using umake to do a very quick understanding of how to get my design into 3d.

18. brinary001 thread starter macrumors 6502a

brinary001

Thanks! I'm an Evernote addict as well so that's good to hear.

19. BrettJDeriso macrumors regular

Precisely. Everything that works with a finger is going to work with the Pencil on Day One. Whether the app fully exploits the pressure and tilt range of the input device is up to the developer.

Consider this: You can use a mouse to draw in PhotoShop, but until someone builds some pressure sensitivity into the mouse and Adobe exploits it, you're only going to get static input.

20. chanobo macrumors newbie

chanobo

I wish I could write on a picture and save the picture without using any apps!

21. Greg66 macrumors newbie

Sort of.

The standard Notes app that ships with all Apple devices will accept Pencil inputs insofar as they are taps on icons (eg the trash bin). It won't recognise anything if you try to start writing though.

Word will at some point get an Ink tab, but it's not present yet.

Right now I'm finding OneNote and Paper to be the best apps for (non-drawing) Pencil use.

22. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Um... You do know how to get into DRAWING mode on the stock Notes app, right? Click the squiggly line first. It's one of the best drawing apps for the Pencil right now due to its accuracy.

23. Greg66 macrumors newbie

Quickest if I paste my response from another thread elsewhere:

"I have two Notes folders. One is On My iPad. The other, which the iPad defaults to, is my work one, hosted by MS Exchange server and linked to my work email account, and which syncs across Outlook at work and my iPhone.

The keyboard that pops up when using the On My iPad folder has the squiggle.

The keyboard for the MS Exchange Server folder doesn't."

Perhaps the squiggle will appear when MS introduces the Ink tab in Word.

24. c0nsilience macrumors member

c0nsilience

ArtRage on iPad isn't supported yet. However, if you use Astropad, you can then use ArtRage 4 on OS X! (as well as any other drawing/painting program you have on your  desktop/laptop).

25. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

Oh that's pretty interesting! I've so far only used stock notes -- I may have to see if I can sync my work OneNote notes along with it to Notes app.