Apps that work with cellular-only connection?

Wormald

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
London
Do all the stock/Apple apps work when away from your iPhone on the the LTE Series 3? Particularly interested in Reminders.

Do any third-party apps?

igrover

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
Apple Reminders app does work on LTE only. The Clear list app, for example does not.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Apps that work with your phone turned off and the watch connected to WiFi or LTE (here’s what I’ve found so far!)

WatchPlayer (download new episodes over LTE/WiFi)
Shazam
Home
Bear
Calendar
CBS News
CNN
Dictionary
Drafts
Find Friends
Just Press Record
Maps
Messages (no SMS, just iMessage)
Micropolis
Music (soon will have streaming)
News
OmniFocus (syncing needs to happen with iPhone around, but can still access to dos and add new ones)
PCalc
Phone
Photos
Pong
Reminders
Stocks
Thermo Watch
Twisty Color
Uber (yes you can summon Ubers over just LTE)
ViewRanger
Weather

Obvious Ones:
Alarms
Activity/Workouts
Breathe
Heart Rate
Stopwatch
Timer
Wallet
World Clock

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
The Uber app appears to have been broken in a recent update, every time I open the app it now requests that I sync it to my iPhone to push my account details to it, which does not do anything. Everyone else have the same issue? Hope the devs can fix this issue!

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Which is better? WatchPlayer or Watchcast for podcasts?
WatchCast hands down - it has become really a stand alone app that you can add new podcasts to right on the watch by either browsing a directory or searching iTunes directory via search or scribble. The developer has implemented a super fast way to download episodes directly on the watch over LTE or WiFi (just make sure your phone isn’t connected or it will be slow). The developer has been very responsive on Twitter to feedback and has constantly been improving it.

WatchPlayer hasn’t seen many updates recently and WatchCast has really become the premier podcasting app for the Apple Watch.

anticipate

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
The Uber app appears to have been broken in a recent update, every time I open the app it now requests that I sync it to my iPhone to push my account details to it, which does not do anything. Everyone else have the same issue? Hope the devs can fix this issue!
Just log out and re-log in to Uber. Should fix it.

Itinj24

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2017
New York
How's it going?... Been on Android for the past 5 since the iPhone 4 but was looking to come back to see what's changed since. Just received an AW 3 LTE (still boxed) and an iPhone X is on the way. Still using a Google Pixel and LG Watch Sport (LTE) until it arrives.

Must say, I'm really bummed about the list above. I wanted the LTE on the watch for nothing more than emergency backup situations (phone dies, lost phone, etc...) Problem is, my wife refuses to leave Samsung phones and we text regularly throughout the day. iMessage is, therefore, out of the question. How would I be able to send (or receive) a text message explaining my phone is dead/missing if the only texting app that works with the phone off is iMessage?

Why doesnt at least FB Messenger work? Doesn't make any sense at all since it uses WiFi/LTE and it has a Watch app. Is this an Apple restriction or an App developer restriction?

Any luck with any texting apps other than iMessage? Viber? That has a Watch app as well.

I really want to love this watch and I haven't even opened it yet. Thanks in advance!

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
Is there an app that will push Gmail on LTE besides Outlook?

Also other Apps that work on LTE

City Mapper
Apple Store
iTranslate
My Weather
Pay By Phone
Starbucks at least to pay but no location yet
USA Today
Viper
Runtastic

Find Near Me used to work but seems that one is not

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
How's it going?... Been on Android for the past 5 since the iPhone 4 but was looking to come back to see what's changed since. Just received an AW 3 LTE (still boxed) and an iPhone X is on the way. Still using a Google Pixel and LG Watch Sport (LTE) until it arrives.

Must say, I'm really bummed about the list above. I wanted the LTE on the watch for nothing more than emergency backup situations (phone dies, lost phone, etc...) Problem is, my wife refuses to leave Samsung phones and we text regularly throughout the day. iMessage is, therefore, out of the question. How would I be able to send (or receive) a text message explaining my phone is dead/missing if the only texting app that works with the phone off is iMessage?

Why doesnt at least FB Messenger work? Doesn't make any sense at all since it uses WiFi/LTE and it has a Watch app. Is this an Apple restriction or an App developer restriction?

Any luck with any texting apps other than iMessage? Viber? That has a Watch app as well.

I really want to love this watch and I haven't even opened it yet. Thanks in advance!
Facebook Messenger works on my S3SS LTE..