Apps that work with Dropbox

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by flameproof, Oct 29, 2011.

1. flameproof macrumors 6502a

flameproof

Is there any list of apps that work well with dropbox?

I noticed that dropbox closed down their own friendly apps site: https://www.dropbox.com/apps

What I like to do is:

• Put a note in a folder
    • Make notes to PDF
    • Maybe edit XLS files

(Maybe discover yet unknown tools to help with document management)

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

i doubt you willfind an updated one. there are just so many.

simplenote, elements, plaintext, etc.

pdf provider

numbers? docstogo?

documents? it depends on what you mean. evernote, goodreader, iannotate, etc. come to mind as possibilities.

3. flameproof thread starter macrumors 6502a

flameproof

I tried the 3, none of those can put a note into an existing dropbox folder.

What I want is, open a Dropbox folder, write a new note there.

In Windows it would be a simple right-click>new>text document - that would create an empty file that I then can open and write into it.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

you will need to be a bit more flexible. most of these programs create their own folders into which they put notes. if you can get by letting the programs make the folder for you, then you are all set. for example, elements creates a folder titled "elements" in dropbox. as soon as you write a note it immediately appears in dropbox. in fact, it is constantly communicating with the cloud, so any changes you make are reflected in the document within a few seconds. it's quite seamless.

5. flameproof thread starter macrumors 6502a

flameproof

@palpatine
    Dropbox support told me that in iOS it's not possible to put notes into directories from your phone. Using a note app is not really practical if you have a large amount of folders.

Interestingly I installed Dropbox for Android and from your Android phone you can add notes into the directory of your choice. 1:0 for Android...

From Android I can also take a picture and put it right into the directory of my choice. 2:0

Dropbox for Android is WAY more flexible.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

i think you're right about that. ios is generally pretty weak when it comes to any sort of file system, so that doesn't come as any surprise. thanks for looking into that.