Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2010
Has anyone else encountered apps that ignore your current volume setting because they use the ringer volume? Apps such as Pics Party and Carrot. It really pisses me off the time or two that I've opened them up in a quiet area with my media volume turned all the way down and then have them blare out loud. Do they do it just to piss people off?

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Has anyone else encountered apps that ignore your current volume setting because they use the ringer volume? Apps such as Pics Party and Carrot. It really pisses me off the time or two that I've opened them up in a quiet area with my media volume turned all the way down and then have them blare out loud. Do they do it just to piss people off?

No, it's because system audio is the easiest way to implement audio in an app.
I think you can connect both volume levels together in a setting somewhere.
Something like "adjust ringer volume with controls".

Last edited:

thekb

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 8, 2010
No, it's because system audio is the easiest way to implement audio in an app.
I think you can connect both volume levels together in a setting somewhere.
Something like "adjust ringer volume with controls".

But I want the ringer to always be loud enough to hear ... so I keep that setting unchecked. That's one of my biggest beefs with Apple -- their implementation of audio controls. I know it's been discussed to death, but the switch on the side should be MUTE. As in NO SOUND.

So anyway, the best thing to do is just leave negative feedback on those apps and delete them from the phone then?

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
They might not know any better way to implement audio, but yes, it's only the app
developer that can fix it.
They are using the same guts used to play
system sounds like SMS and email sounds,
and it's stuck on that volume.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.