apps to get work flow to dropbox?

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Hi All,

I have been an iPad owner for quite some time but recently have been using Pages and Keynote a lot more frequently. I tend to keep most of my work in a shared Dropbox folder so my team can access my work if need be and so I can have easy access to all my work if I need it. My only problem is that I can't figure out how to save my work to Dropbox from any iwork apps. The only way I do this now is email them to myself and then open up a laptop and move them over to the correct Dropbox folder.

Does anybody have a better solution?

Thanks.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
You need this: http://dropdav.com/

You can manually up/download files via WebDAV from the iWorks for iOS apps.

Another solution is, if you're using a Mac, is to copy files from the hidden iCloud sync folder in your Library folder. If you linked this to dropbox it'd happen automatically. But it's not a great solution, with a lot of variables that might go wrong.

I think most of us who use iPads for office work are waiting to see how iCloud pans out and in particular if Microsoft embrace it.

Comment

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
You need this: http://dropdav.com/

You can manually up/download files via WebDAV from the iWorks for iOS apps.

Another solution is, if you're using a Mac, is to copy files from the hidden iCloud sync folder in your Library folder. If you linked this to dropbox it'd happen automatically. But it's not a great solution, with a lot of variables that might go wrong.

I think most of us who use iPads for office work are waiting to see how iCloud pans out and in particular if Microsoft embrace it.
Thanks for the solution. I'll try WebDav. Not sure if icloud will work for me if I am not running Lion.

Comment

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
Thanks for the solution. I'll try WebDav. Not sure if icloud will work for me if I am not running Lion.
Cool. You'll probably need Mountain Lion and the new release of Pages for OS X (not even announced yet) for the whole iCloud thing to work, if you were ever going to use it. There are so many things we don't yet known about iCloud for workers.

Comment

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Cool. You'll probably need Mountain Lion and the new release of Pages for OS X (not even announced yet) for the whole iCloud thing to work, if you were ever going to use it. There are so many things we don't yet known about iCloud for workers.
Thanks. I guess I"ll as you mentioned. However, I won't use Pages but will for sure use Keynote. I just got the WebDav feature and I can now send a file done in Pages to Dropbox as a Word file. Wish it didn't cost any money to do this but at least it is a solution to my problem for now. Thanks for y9our help.

cfs

Comment

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
Thanks. I guess I"ll as you mentioned. However, I won't use Pages but will for sure use Keynote. I just got the WebDav feature and I can now send a file done in Pages to Dropbox as a Word file. Wish it didn't cost any money to do this but at least it is a solution to my problem for now. Thanks for y9our help.

cfs
I'm still surprised that Dropbox chose to charge for a webdav service. It can't be all that technically demanding to provide a different doorway into Dropbox.

Comment

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I'm still surprised that Dropbox chose to charge for a webdav service. It can't be all that technically demanding to provide a different doorway into Dropbox.
Why would you be surprised an insanely popular, high availability app like Dropbox would look for ways to make money?

Comment

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
England
Why would you be surprised an insanely popular, high availability app like Dropbox would look for ways to make money?
I'm not surprised they're trying to make money. I'm surprised they're trying to make money by charging for access to their service. Generally speaking online services do everything they can to allow unhindered (and therefore free of charge) access to their service. Look at Facebook, which let you access it from just about every computing device. It's free because it has to be otherwise nobody will use the service!

Dropbox's model is as simple as their service—they charge for storage space. They don't normally charge for ways of accessing that storage space, which is what they're doing with Dropdav, and which is unusual.

That's why it's so odd. I'm not saying it's a bad thing (although I kinda think it is). I'm just saying that compared to other online services it's a bold move.

Comment

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
Box.com offers WebDAV for free and has some nice collaboration features. I like the Dropbox desktop sync better though.

Comment

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I'm not surprised they're trying to make money. I'm surprised they're trying to make money by charging for access to their service. Generally speaking online services do everything they can to allow unhindered (and therefore free of charge) access to their service. Look at Facebook, which let you access it from just about every computing device. It's free because it has to be otherwise nobody will use the service!

Dropbox's model is as simple as their service—they charge for storage space. They don't normally charge for ways of accessing that storage space, which is what they're doing with Dropdav, and which is unusual.

That's why it's so odd. I'm not saying it's a bad thing (although I kinda think it is). I'm just saying that compared to other online services it's a bold move.
The difference is that DropDav offers access to Dropbox data for apps where the app developers have chosen to NOT license the Dropbox API. That makes it valuable to a whole new spectrum of users that otherwise have no to little use for the free Dropbox service.

Basically, they are licensing their Dropbox API "by the drink" to the end user rather than selling the license to Apple, etc.

Makes perfect sense that they charge for DropDav.

Comment