Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I have been looking at apps to help my son who is taking Spanish 1 this year. He is having a hard time remembering the vocabulary and the pronunciation. I've looked at a dozen or so Apps (both iPad and iPhone) and they all seem good but more for looking up vocabulary words. Anyone have any experience with an app that is used for learning the language from the beginning. Free / cheap is best. :D

Chataupiano

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
I don't have much experience with beginning level language apps since I didn't learn Spanish this way but I did survey a couple that might be helpful. Personally I use Brainscape to memorize large amounts of words in relatively little time but if your son isn't that motivated, he could try Spanish Touch Trainer https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spanish-touch-trainer/id395126280?mt=8 . It's 3 dollars and it will help you with basic translations in a fun way. I believe this will help in both vocabulary acquisition and pronunciation since a really nice female voice reads back the sentences to you after you translate them. My opinion is that it is good for beginning and low-intermediate students. Brainscape has a premade Spanish vocabulary pack that costs 7.99 in-app purchase but this is suited more toward AP Spanish students. There are about 20 decks. In the beginning you will find very basic words that are appropriate for beginners but toward the end it gets much, much harder. I'm sure I have a bunch of apps in my purchases history that I could suggest but my list of purchases doesn't seem to be showing up at the moment. Another popular app for learning Spanish is Spanish Anywhere, though personally I never found this one to be that useful and it is more expensive than the rest - I bought it for ten dollars a few years ago, not sure how muchit is now.

Another one is Salsa https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/salsa-spanish-language-learning/id444645338?mt=8 , seems to be similar to Spanish Touch Trainer except it has no pronunciation. Try the lite version before upgrading to pro.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.