APPS To Play Video Files from Airport Time Capsule??

Discussion in 'Apple TV Apps' started by TFLEX, Nov 3, 2015.

1. TFLEX macrumors newbie

Has anyone successfully downloaded an app that plays video files directly from the time capsule (no pc or mac)?

If so, which app? Which file types?

Thanks, this will determine if I buy an Apple TV 4 or not.

Al

2. chunker macrumors member

I'm on the same boat as you.

I downloaded AirVideoHD and Plex media servers and didn't have any success, as neither recognized the TC.

I tried playing with the TC settings and all it did was give me double NAT issues.

There's apps that claim to stream directly from a NAS server but the TC isn't a NAS.

I assumed that if 'back to my Mac' was turned on all would be good, but still no luck.

I guess we'll wait.

3. vc2020 macrumors regular

I've been using Air Video for a long time to do this. It's worked great.

I tried Plex recently and it was a little too slow to convert.

4. chunker macrumors member

Video Explorer is working for me. Haven't done much testing, but it does read directly from time capsule. No need to install a server on your computer. No hassle in configuring any settings.

5. stukeyme macrumors newbie

6. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I'm hoping FireCore Infuse will see the HDD connected to my AEBS. They are releasing a beta next week (they're full), I'll try that and report back. I loved their app on my ATV2 w/Jailbreak. No need to have server on computer, as Plex does, no need to have NAS. It just looked right at the videos on my HDD on AEBS (TM is the same thing). It also downloaded all the art and meta data. It was perfect.

For now I'm using Plex and I just leave my MBP open to run the server, with screen dark. It works great, no problem.

7. tgwaste macrumors 6502a

tgwaste

8. DebbieFL33 macrumors regular

Totally agree with with tgwaste.

NAStify will connect with auto discovery to SMB servers on Mac/PC, NAS, and Time Capsule. Auto discovery on UPnP also. User selectable settings including grid/list, various sorts (asc/des), file delete or not. Sub title and multi file type support, deinterlacing as required, fix for airplay audio delay.

Files start playing very quickly. Fast forward/Rewind are also very responsive.

Developer is very active in responding to problems, requests, etc. Check out the NAStify thread on this forum, buy the app, and have an outstanding experience on your ATV4.

9. king_leonidas macrumors member

king_leonidas

Infuse,MrMC,Nastify confirm works with Time Capsule.
    I think and most of the others media players from appstore

10. redpandadev macrumors member

Infuse is the best for this purpose by a mile.

11. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Best interface and worst performance. Hoping for a major improvement in 4.0.2