Apps update size

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by groundeddreams, Jan 4, 2011.

1. groundeddreams macrumors newbie

Hi,

Whenever an app I have on my iphone has an update shown through iTunes or iphone app store, it never shows me what size the update is, only the intial amount for the app itself.

Unless Im going mad, there is nowhere which will advise on the size. Reason that I care, is deciding if to download on the fly using 3G or wait til on a Wifi connection / iTunes.

Anyone seen where it can be found?

2. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I know in iTunes on your desktop/laptop, it shows the file size of the app update when it's downloading. However, on your phone I do not believe it shows you. I just downloaded an update to the ESPN Gamecenter app, and nowhere in the description of what the update includes does it mention the size of the file.

I know that if the app update is over 20MB, a message will pop-up informing me that I need to connect to a WiFi hotspot to d/l the update. But again, it doesn't give me the exact file size.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

The iOS devices used to show the file size but I think when iOS 4.x came out, that stopped. I miss having that for the reason the OP said: I want to be able to decide if I will download on 3G, WiFi or from my iMac.

I hope :apple: puts that tidbit back in iOS sometime.

4. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

I apologize if I am misunderstanding you, but "the initial amount for the app itself" is the same as the size of the update. The App Store just downloads the whole updated app each time you update. There are no incremental updates.

5. Trippp macrumors newbie

Apps update size

Except that there are no sizes shown for updates. Only for the actual App that is already on the iPhone. In the the case of the new iBooks, I believe that the update is much larger than previous App. And it is only if you dig deep that you can find even that info.

The reason I want to know the sizes of the updates is because I pay for my internet by the gigabyte. I recently did an update all that turned out to be nearly 700 MB. I almost choked. And it took several hours with a mediocre connection.