Apps updated for Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Namtaro, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Namtaro macrumors regular

Just wondering if applications will have to be updated for Mountain Lion?
    I have a bunch of apps that I can't live without, and they're mainly apps that aren't on the app store.

Do you think the upgrade will cause a lot of problems or should I wait on the update a bit to check if my apps will be compatible?

Thanks a lot !

2. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

Many will yes. Many have already, but mostly utilities and such.

3. klaxamazoo, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012

klaxamazoo macrumors 6502

If you can't live without the Apps then it seems pretty obvious that you should wait and verify the all your required Apps function properly before upgrading to Mountain Lion.

[Edit] Actually, there are other options if you are impatient. You might be able to make a Time Machine backup immediately before the ML upgrade and revert back to Lion if your Apps don't work. You could also install ML on a second partition to test it out.

4. Namtaro thread starter macrumors regular

klaxamazoom, for your suggestion with another partition which seems like the best idea..
    As far as I've read, the Mountain Lion upgrade will be App Store only so no USB/CD upgrade so I'm wondering how I would install it?

5. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

When you run the installer, it will ask where you want to install. If you have a partition formatted in HFS (Journaled) Case-Sensitive, it will give you the option to install there.

6. moderngamenewb macrumors 6502

To check to see which apps will work, check out roaringapps.com. It shows which apps are/aren't compatible with Lion and Mountain Lion

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68010

Mtn Lion doesn't seem to be as big of a change under the hood as Lion was. That was mostly due to Rosetta being discontinued. Most apps will work, but there are always poorly coded and/or apps that touch deep into the code that may have issues.