Apps Updating with the New Retina Display

bjmach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
I have been getting updates to Apps on my Ipad 2 and looking through what they changed. Just today these apps that I use quite a bit went retina display. I didn't see a running list of updated Apps for retina so maybe we can post them here as noticed.

Kindle App
NYTimes for the Ipad
Skitch
Evernote
My Xbox Live
Tweetbot
Calcbot
Eye-Fi
Remote
Sketchbook Pro

Last edited:

tekchic

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Add to the list:
Skitch
Evernote

I'm sure we'll see a LOT of this over the weekend. Hoping everyone's pretty quick with the retina updates for most apps. I'm expecting the games to be awhile (if at all for some games).

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
Tweetbot
Calcbot
Eye-Fi
Touchgrind BMX

Last edited:

mcl

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
Is there some way to tell whether an app is retina-compatible in the App Store? Don't have a 4 or 4s, and this is my first iPad, so I never really bothered to check that sort of thing.

bjmach

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
Is there some way to tell whether an app is retina-compatible in the App Store? Don't have a 4 or 4s, and this is my first iPad, so I never really bothered to check that sort of thing.

look at the updated date for an app, if it was updated in the last week or so see if one of the updates was retina display.

tekchic

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
To find the ones I posted, currently I'm just checking on my iPad 2 and then looking at the build descriptions (eg is it an update for Retina or not).

I'm guessing it's going to be a heavy download weekend! :)

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
Real racing 2 is updated with new retina graphics and 4x antialiasing, this is going to look terrific! And the size of the app is - couple MB lower

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
Im guessing for the immediate future most retina updates on 3d games will just be to render at that resolution, not updating textures and such. So that won't increase app sizes.

May be for the best anyway...

G77

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
Im guessing for the immediate future most retina updates on 3d games will just be to render at that resolution, not updating textures and such. So that won't increase app sizes.

May be for the best anyway...
Well, Galaxy on fire 2 HD just updated - 653 MB to 1GB.

DreamPod

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2008
I wonder what exactly the Kindle app did for the retina display...considering built-in iOS text fonts automatically get upgraded in all apps.

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
I wonder what exactly the Kindle app did for the retina display...considering built-in iOS text fonts automatically get upgraded in all apps.
They had used some weird method for the text that did not scale so they had to change it. Some reviewer had mentioned kindle not looking good.

edit: ah, being as simple as the font makes sense.