Apps upgrading cost when upgrading laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unbelievable99, Dec 23, 2012.

1. unbelievable99 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

This is a stupid question, but here it goes. I'm getting a bit confused here. Next year, when they make the next os for mac (like how we have mountain lion update from lion now), do we need to pay for the apps again, or are there upgrade costs for apps, or is it free?

So if I have an app that costs $2.99, will I have to pay that whole price again when the next upgrade comes, or part of that price, or none?

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Upgrading your OS doesn't necessarily mean you have to re-buy apps. It is possible that some apps may not be compatible with the newer OS, or you may need to pay for a version that is compatible, if one is available. As a general rule, however, you should be able to keep most of your apps and have them work with the new OS version.

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

It depends. If they're apps that support the new OS, there won't be a problem. Unfortunately, Apple has a way of causing OS updates to break apps, so depending on how old they are, you may need to purchase updated copies or completely different programs.

4. unbelievable99 thread starter macrumors member

Keynote, pages and numbers

So if I were to specify keynote, pages and numbers, would those need to be paid for again (based on previous updates)?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

No. Of course not.

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I just hope OSX doesn't "force" one to upgrade. In Windows, the OS would say an old App is not supported, but would you like to run anyways, I click yes and off I go, with one single exception through the years, they just ran fine.